May 20, 2010, 10:02 AM EST
Why did Hanley Ramirez apologize to his manager and teammates yesterday? Partially, I bet, to get back in the lineup, and partially, I hope, because he realized he was being a jerk. But according to a tweet from Peter Gammons last night, a lot of it may have had to do with Big Papi:
David Ortiz’s Tuesday text exchanges with Hanley
Ramirez convinced Hanley to appologize and move on
Of course, if Gammons was right and Ortiz’s texts — and not his manager’s statements — were the prime motivator, we shouldn’t hold our breaths for a new Hanley Ramirez to emerge from this experience. Ramirez’s takeway from this was probably more about how to go along to get along, not about playing hard and respecting authority figures.
UPDATE: I had missed this, but apparently a stern talking-to by Andre Dawson and Tony Perez helped matters as well.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)