May 20, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Why did Hanley Ramirez apologize to his manager and teammates yesterday? Partially, I bet, to get back in the lineup, and partially, I hope, because he realized he was being a jerk. But according to a tweet from Peter Gammons last night, a lot of it may have had to do with Big Papi:
David Ortiz’s Tuesday text exchanges with Hanley
Ramirez convinced Hanley to appologize and move on
Of course, if Gammons was right and Ortiz’s texts — and not his manager’s statements — were the prime motivator, we shouldn’t hold our breaths for a new Hanley Ramirez to emerge from this experience. Ramirez’s takeway from this was probably more about how to go along to get along, not about playing hard and respecting authority figures.
UPDATE: I had missed this, but apparently a stern talking-to by Andre Dawson and Tony Perez helped matters as well.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)