Dayton Moore: "The Process" is 8-10 years

May 20, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for dayton moore.jpgDayton Moore has taken a lot of guff from Royals fans in the past couple of years as a result of his constant exhortations for them to “trust The Process,” which is the term he uses to refer to his plan to rebuild the Royals.  The problems with this? “The Process” is rather amorphus, inasmuch as one year it appears that the team is going with youth and the next year they sign a bunch of mediocre free agents.  No one really knows what “The Process” is.

But the worst part is no one really knows how long “The Process” is supposed to take.  That is, they didn’t until today, when Dayton Moore coughed up a deadline:

“Our goal by 2013, 2014 is to have the majority of our 25-man roster be
homegrown players. That’s what we’re shooting for, that’s
been the long-term plan all along . . . Look what Colorado did, look what Minnesota did, look what the New York
Yankees did. It took the Yankees seven years. They
committed to it in ’89, and finally in ’96 they won with homegrown guys.
I’m not talking about getting to .500, I’m talking about winning the
World Series when I say eight to 10 years.”

Well, I think he’s backdating the Yankees’ rebuilding a bit, as things there really didn’t get going until Gene Michael was hired in 1991 and began to rebuild the team’s player development model and change the team from a free-agent pariah to a free-agent player.  If I had to put a date on that I’d say maybe 1992, when Danny Tartabull was signed and Derek Jeter was drafted.

But fine, let’s give Moore his eight or ten years.  Royals fans have been waiting this long. What’s several more?

1. Sucker Von BadValue - May 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM

This is a man who KNOWS the game. He’s just had a few bad outcomes, that’s all.

2. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I think he’s giving himself the benefit of the doubt, but there is no quick way to judge a GM. 3-4 years in the minors and 3 years maybe before a draftee starts to make a difference. I think he’s capable of developing a minor league system, but it’s the pro team I have my doubts about. He’s already blown a fair amount of money that could’ve been used to lock in some of the kids, or to sign some int’l prospects. Farnsworth cost more than Inglesias. Which would you want?

3. Charles Gates - May 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Brilliant. I wish, just wish, that my job gave me the ability to say, ‘Regardless of how much I suck now by all objective and subjective measurues, and have for the past several years, it’s all part of a plan which won’t come to fruition for another several years. Therefore, if you fire me now, you’ll be the one(s) messing up our chances for success.’ Personally manufactured job security. Brilliant.
    If, of course, you believe him.

4. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre - May 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Grienke = 1-4 with a 2.72 ERA
    I’m sure he’s thrilled

5. Kevin - May 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

So now we know how long it takes. When will they start?

6. JBerardi - May 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Uhh, yeah. I could maybe buy this if the Royals were making, you know, ANY good decisions whatsoever…

Captcha: this Mortuary

7. Bustelo - May 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The Royals GM Dayton Moore has done a better job than the highly touted Jack Zduriencik with a worse record than the Royals. Callaspo, Betancourt, Guillen, Avilles, Podsednik, and even Kendall were good pickups.
    Statistically, the Royals are slightly above league average in the American League in team OPS for offense. They need starting pitching and that costs money for small market clubs. SO yes they do have to develop their pitching. They need serious help in their rotation.
    If Moore refuses to call up pitching prospects, or use his scouting background to find talent on the waiver-wires for rotation help, he will find himself fishing with Hillman soon.

8. (Not That) Tom - May 21, 2010 at 7:07 AM

“Callaspo, Betancourt, Guillen, Avilles, Podsednik, and even Kendall were good pickups.”
    Uh, are you sure about that?

9. Bill@TDS - May 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Hilarious…Betancourt is quite literally the worst player in the major leagues, Guillen isn’t that far behind him (and is making TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS), Kendall is the last person in the world a non-contender should want to sign, Scotty Pods isn’t far behind HIM, and Aviles was not a pickup at all, but rather a 7th-round draft pick by Moore’s predecessor. But yeah, picking up a slightly above average player (Callaspo) for a crappy relief pitcher was a pretty decent little trade. I’ll give him that one. GM Dayton More is to GM Jack Zduriencik approximately as I am as a hitter to, say, Mark Teixeira.
    This “8-10 years” comment, to any other organization aside from perhaps the Pirates, would basically be seen as an invitation — almost a demand, really — to fire the incompetent buffoon. But Mr. Moore is blessed with an owner that just doesn’t give a damn.

10. kief - May 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Firing Hillman, rumors of AA players about to be called up, plan that will take 8-10 years? Sounds to me like a GM trying to save his job.
    As for home grown tallent? I think that needs to be qualified a little. He is only interested in building a team of home grown tallent that he personally drafted. Moore spent all last year critizing Billy Butler, he refuses to use Kila, Gordon is feasting on AAA pitchers and Aviles only got the call up in 08 when the Royals were desparate for a shortstop–and had to EARN a position on the team this year. This isn’t about winning…its about DM’s ego.

11. Bob Tufts - May 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM

When I saw “Dayton Moore” and “8-10 years”, I assumed that Moore had snapped and wreaked some form of vengeance on Yuniesky Bettencourt.

Ace-killer Giants do it again