May 20, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
I’ve taken a few shots at Ken Macha in the past couple of days, mostly because teams that (a) are expected to contend; (b) lose nine games in a row; and (c) have an able and experienced bench coach like Willie Randolph hanging around tend to fire their managers.
“I don’t see any reason. I
see reasons to work together and try to get some wins . . .Everybody wants to fire everybody, but I talk to Mark everyday and Ken
every day. You go about and do your business, and all
you’ve got to do is continue to work hard.”
I’m not going to call that a dreaded vote of confidence because of the “I don’t see any reason” line. That could later make Melvin’s judgment look poor in the event Macha is fired. A true dreaded vote of confidence would be more passively-stated, in which Macha’s good qualities were listed, the situation generally but vaguely addressed, but no personal endorsement took place.
So I’ll lay off Macha now. This wasn’t the dreaded vote of confidence. This was a legitimate vote of confidence.
At least I think so.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)