May 20, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
I’ve taken a few shots at Ken Macha in the past couple of days, mostly because teams that (a) are expected to contend; (b) lose nine games in a row; and (c) have an able and experienced bench coach like Willie Randolph hanging around tend to fire their managers.
“I don’t see any reason. I
see reasons to work together and try to get some wins . . .Everybody wants to fire everybody, but I talk to Mark everyday and Ken
every day. You go about and do your business, and all
you’ve got to do is continue to work hard.”
I’m not going to call that a dreaded vote of confidence because of the “I don’t see any reason” line. That could later make Melvin’s judgment look poor in the event Macha is fired. A true dreaded vote of confidence would be more passively-stated, in which Macha’s good qualities were listed, the situation generally but vaguely addressed, but no personal endorsement took place.
So I’ll lay off Macha now. This wasn’t the dreaded vote of confidence. This was a legitimate vote of confidence.
At least I think so.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)