May 20, 2010, 3:44 PM EDT
Drew Storen beat fellow 2009 first-round pick Stephen Strasburg to Washington by a few weeks and picked up his first big-league victory last night, for which he got not one but two shaving cream pies to the face from teammates.
Plus, as is customary for the guy Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan selects as the “player of the game” Storen donned a silver Elvis wig afterward. “The wig doesn’t look that good on me, but it’s great thing I’m wearing it,” Storen said. “I saw it before I came up here. I was really hoping I would be able to wear it.”
On a slightly less absurd note, Storen also talked about being asked to come into the game mid-inning and wriggle out of someone else’s jam: “I love it. I started doing that in college. I did it in the minor leagues. I love coming in with guys on base because of the pressure. I’m a big fan.” He’ll need to get over that enthusiasm for mid-inning jams once he becomes a closer, but for now it’s good to hear.
Storen was the 10th overall pick in last June’s draft following a great career at Stanford and blitzed through the minors with a 1.68 ERA and 64/11 K/BB ratio in 53.2 innings. After watching his first two big-league appearances, it’s easy to see how he was able to rack up those great numbers.
Storen has been exclusively a fastball-slider pitcher so far, with his fastball averaging 93.4 miles per hour and his slider clocking in at 83.7 mph. He’s thrown about three-fourths fastballs with one-fourth sliders and that combination is certainly enough to make him an elite reliever, but most scouting reports have also praised Storen for having a wide assortment of quality off-speed stuff.
In other words, expect to see him wearing the Elvis wig quite a bit.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)