May 20, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
What’s the point of having replay review of home runs if the umps aren’t going to use it? Josh Hamilton was credited with a double on this play despite the fact that the ball clearly left the field of play. It didn’t end up costing the Rangers the game, but it easily could have.
Let me once again make my plea: put an ump up in the booth with TV monitors and a walkie-talkie. Such a man could have seen that replay as quickly as the announcing crew did, buzzed the crew chief down on the field and the home run could have been called correctly.
To not do this is to ensure that at some point in the future a game — maybe even a really important game — will turn on a totally avoidable mistake.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)