May 20, 2010, 1:42 AM EDT
We’ve certainly managed to squeeze a lot of mileage out of the Hanley Ramirez incident over the last couple of days.
Yes, he loafed. Yes, it was a bad thing. But now, after his apology to his team – and, even better, a three-hit game in a victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday – we can all move on. (By the way, did you notice the Marlins are three games behind the Phillies?)
But before we do that, let’s take one last quick run around the Internet to see what they’re saying about the Florida Marlins’ best player.
First of all, in case you missed it, take a look at the big play in question.
- Our own Bert Blyleven isn’t worried about Ramirez dogging it so much as he hates how the Marlin handled the aftermath.
- Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy can’t understand why a baseball player can’t hustle when he’s only asked to do so every so often.
“Baseball demands maybe 7, 8, 9 times a game you gotta really bust your ass and make a play. You can’t do that?”
Um, Stan, you might want to talk to your team, which is getting kicked into left field by the Celtics.
- Joe Posnanski asks his readers to answer the question “What if it had been Jeter?”
My personal favorite: Jeter would’ve caught the ball on one bounce, froze the runners with a look, started a triple play and helped an old lady across Dallas Braden’s mound.
- Will Leitch (and Joe Sheehan) writes that talent should outweigh effort every time, but still wants Ramirez to “run, you idiot!”
- And last but not least, Joe Riggins has a name for Ramirez: Lollygagger!
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)