May 20, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
The Rays cut ties with 33-year-old designated hitter (and former outfielder) Pat Burrell last weekend and now he is free to sign with any club. Here’s a short round-up of the interested and uninterested teams:
- Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com writes that Burrell will “NOT” be joining the Giants.
- The Red Sox don’t have room for another “one-dimensional” player like Burrell, or so says Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
- Ruben Armaro Jr., GM of the Phillies, told MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki that his club is not interested in bringing back Burrell either.
- FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal hears that the Padres have “sniffed around” on Burrell, and it seems they are the only team with any amount of real interest.
And that’s it. That’s all. Burrell, still a .253/.362/.473 career hitter, has taken a sharp dive from grace since inking a two-year, $16 million deal with the Rays in January of 2009. He was batting just batting 202/.292/.333 with two homers and 13 RBI over 84 at-bats when the Rays cut ties with him last Saturday.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 52
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (89)