Sizing up the interest in free agent Pat Burrell

May 20, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT

burrell stretching.jpgThe Rays cut ties with 33-year-old designated hitter (and former outfielder) Pat Burrell last weekend and now he is free to sign with any club.  Here’s a short round-up of the interested and uninterested teams:

• Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com writes that Burrell will “NOT” be joining the Giants.
  • The Red Sox don’t have room for another “one-dimensional” player like Burrell, or so says Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
  • Ruben Armaro Jr., GM of the Phillies, told MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki that his club is not interested in bringing back Burrell either.
  • FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal hears that the Padres have “sniffed around” on Burrell, and it seems they are the only team with any amount of real interest.

And that’s it.  That’s all.  Burrell, still a .253/.362/.473 career hitter, has taken a sharp dive from grace since inking a two-year, $16 million deal with the Rays in January of 2009.  He was batting just batting 202/.292/.333 with two homers and 13 RBI over 84 at-bats when the Rays cut ties with him last Saturday.

1. J. McCann - May 20, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I think he could still hit in the NL while playing the OF and staying warmed up. His D would be brutal, I grant you that.
    If I was him, I would even go to AAA for awhile to get back in the swing of things.

2. ThinMan - May 21, 2010 at 7:10 AM

You’d think the Mariners would be able to find room for him. Last I heard, they were desperately seeking offense.

3. Jamie - May 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I think the Mariners have both of their “DHs barely capable of hitting .200″ roster spots filled right now.

4. Leroy - May 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I don’t understand your post . Burrell can’t hit his ass with both hands . Why would they want him ?

5. B. Moore - May 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I hope he finds a spot in MLB. I would regret not seeing him play. He has the potential to be one of the greats.

6. Phil Errup - May 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM

It burns when I urinate.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4104)