May 20, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
The Braves’ Brooks Conrad just hit a walk-off grand slam to give the Braves a dramatic come-from-behind win against the Reds. Atlanta was down 8-0 after two innings. They were down 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth. When Arthur Rhodes struck out Jason Heyward with the bases juiced in the ninth, I figured it was over. Then Dusty went to Francisco Cordero and Conrad went yard. The ball actually bounced out of Laynce Nix’s glove and over the fence. He should have been out, but it just didn’t go down like that. You can see the video here.
You don’t have to be a Braves fan to appreciate the gravity of this one. For good and for bad. The Cincinnati Enquirer’s John Fay just tweeted that this was the the “most stunning loss” in his time covering the Reds.
But Braves fans enjoy this one. For my part, I was speechless for the first three minutes. Since then
I’ve been doing a little happy dance.
The season ain’t over yet.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)