The Braves stun the Reds with a walkoff grand slam

May 20, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT

Brooks Conrad celebration.jpgSweet sassy-molassy.

The Braves’ Brooks Conrad just hit a walk-off grand slam to give the Braves a dramatic come-from-behind win against the Reds.  Atlanta was down 8-0 after two innings. They were down 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth.  When Arthur Rhodes struck out Jason Heyward with the bases juiced in the ninth, I figured it was over. Then Dusty went to Francisco Cordero and Conrad went yard.  The ball actually bounced out of Laynce Nix’s glove and over the fence. He should have been out, but it just didn’t go down like that.  You can see the video here.

You don’t have to be a Braves fan to appreciate the gravity of this one.  For good and for bad.  The Cincinnati Enquirer’s John Fay just tweeted that this was the the “most stunning loss” in his time covering the Reds.

But Braves fans enjoy this one. For my part, I was speechless for the first three minutes. Since then
I’ve been doing a little happy dance.

The season ain’t over yet.

1. Nick C - May 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

This Cardinals fan thanks the Braves for their effort. Reds get a taste of their own walkoff medicine.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Cardinals fans are idiots.

2. Ross - May 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Wish I could say the same for the Cubs. Men on 1st and 3rd with no out, down one, and we can’t get Soriano in from 3rd.

3. Professor Dave - May 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Loved watching Conrad (who the heck is Conrad?) put his head in his hands, thinking Nix caught it, then realizing he just won the game.

4. SuperMAX - May 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM

This is quite possibly the most disappointing thing I’ve read all day, and certainly puts a damper on the relatively good mood I’ve been in.
    It pains me to see the Reds let down this badly. Hopefully we can make up for this, soon.

5. Jonny5 - May 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM

This is the stuff I love. As long as it’s not my team on losing end anyway…..

6. Mike G. - May 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Conrad thought he was out. He had to turn around to run around the bases. Good stuff.

7. Jonny5 - May 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Contreras is becoming quite the closer. Today was a poor outing for him actually. He throws a mean forkball and couldn’t find it today. Do you know anyone else who throws a forkball? I don’t.

8. Ross - May 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Jose Valverde and Chien-Ming Wang. ;)

9. Jon S. - May 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I’ll admit, I had given up hope by the end of the second and stopped listening to the game. Was very happy when I checked the boxscore later in the day.
    That’s 7 of 9. Let’s see 10 of 12!!!

10. smsetnor - May 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I gotta say we’re getting spoiled this year in Atlanta with the things we’ve seen. No hitter, Heyward’s first home-run, 6 walk-offs… This one was awesome. People went crazy over Heyward’s first homer on opening day, but today people were jumping, high-fiving and hugging. Awesome atmosphere. A bad day turned in to a great day at the ballpark!

11. SuperMAX - May 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Oh goodie, a picture now. I missed the whole of the game because I was at work, and was glad for not having to see any of it…
    Recaptcha: vended services… feels kinda redundant.

12. RobRob - May 20, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Wait a minute… Did the Braves really ditch the vertically arched name plates on their home jerseys?!?

Boo to that.

13. Jonny5 - May 21, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Yeah, but they don’t throw a true fork ball. They use their thumbs. This dude keeps his thumb tucked away from the ball and just holds it with his two split fingers. Hold on I was reading it somewhere……. http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_v3?blockID=236050 There you go, apparently he’s the only guy who does it.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5022)