The Red Sox designate Scott Schoeneweis for assignment

May 20, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

Schoeneweiss Sox.jpgThe Red Sox told Scott Schoeneweis that he was being designated for assignment after last night’s game, ending his tenure in Boston. The actual move will come this morning, so the ten-day period during which the team has to trade him, release him or place him on waivers begins today.

It’s never a good thing to be kicked off the 40-man roster but, as many have noted, it’s a tougher thing for Scott Schoeneweis on this day. Why? Because today is the one-year anniversary of his wife’s death.  I don’t think you can expect the Red Sox or anyone else to not make these kinds of moves when they are necessary — almost every day was a bad day for someone — but this one has to sting particularly bad. The best you can say of it is that at least Schoeneweis will have a chance to be with his family today, which is how he’s viewing it:

“It’s nothing personal. It’s more difficult for me because it’s tough
for my kids. Tomorrow is going to be a difficult day for me and my
family anyway. But I guess everything happens for a reason, and I’ll be
home for them and for me. There are worse things, obviously, and I’ve
been through all that. We’ll be alright.”

1. JBerardi - May 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM

“Good luck to Schoeneweis. Here’s hoping, left arm willing, he turns up someplace else soon.”

Well, either he’s going to get picked up on waivers, or (more likely) he’ll clear waivers and be assigned to Pawtucket. In fact, couldn’t they have just sent him down anyway since he was signed to a minor league contract? We’ll have to see what happens, but I think that the whole point of DFAing him might have been to give him a few days in roster limbo to be with his family.

2. Jimmy Marlins Fan - May 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

good luck scotty…
    if you want to replace in renyel pinto in florida, come on down good sir

3. J Rose - May 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I agree with the move, disagree with the timing. I know it’s a business and decisions have to be made regardless, but couldn’t they have either done this a week ago or waited a couple extra days?

4. Ron - May 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

If he’s signed to a minor league contract, they have to purchase that contract to bring him to the majors. It then becomes a major league contract.
    As well as having service time, and all other manner of issues dictated by the union, he can’t just go to the minors. There are rules about how it is done.

5. Chris Conrey - May 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

They also have to DFA him to clear room on the 40 man roster for Sanchez to come up.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3641)