May 20, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
Last night the Yankees ended the game with an outfield of Ramiro Pena, Randy Winn and Brett Gardner. Not exactly how they figured the season would go. Add in the Jorge Posada injury, Nick Johnson’s wrist, Alfredo Aceves’ back and everything else and this team is the walking freaking wounded.
Snakebit? I don’t know. But check out the screen grab of Marcus Thames’ injury over at IIATMS. Yeah, he stepped on the bat he had just discarded, turning his ankle. What, as they say, are the effing odds?
I don’t believe in voodoo or any of that stuff, but something is up with this team. What’s next? Mark Teixeira wiping out badly while surfing? CC Sabathia throwing out his back while hula dancing? Phil Hughes waking up in the middle of the night to find a tarantula on his chest?
The Yankees should probably return their World Series rings to an ancient Hawaiian burial ground to break the tabu. Just watch out for Vincent Price.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (175)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)