May 20, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
Last night the Yankees ended the game with an outfield of Ramiro Pena, Randy Winn and Brett Gardner. Not exactly how they figured the season would go. Add in the Jorge Posada injury, Nick Johnson’s wrist, Alfredo Aceves’ back and everything else and this team is the walking freaking wounded.
Snakebit? I don’t know. But check out the screen grab of Marcus Thames’ injury over at IIATMS. Yeah, he stepped on the bat he had just discarded, turning his ankle. What, as they say, are the effing odds?
I don’t believe in voodoo or any of that stuff, but something is up with this team. What’s next? Mark Teixeira wiping out badly while surfing? CC Sabathia throwing out his back while hula dancing? Phil Hughes waking up in the middle of the night to find a tarantula on his chest?
The Yankees should probably return their World Series rings to an ancient Hawaiian burial ground to break the tabu. Just watch out for Vincent Price.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)