The Yankees' injuries are getting ridiculous

May 20, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT

Tabu.jpgLast night the Yankees ended the game with an outfield of Ramiro Pena, Randy Winn and Brett Gardner.  Not exactly how they figured the season would go.  Add in the Jorge Posada injury, Nick Johnson’s wrist, Alfredo Aceves’ back and everything else and this team is the walking freaking wounded.

Snakebit? I don’t know. But check out the screen grab of Marcus Thames’ injury over at IIATMS. Yeah, he stepped on the bat he had just discarded, turning his ankle. What, as they say, are the effing odds?

I don’t believe in voodoo or any of that stuff, but something is up with this team.  What’s next? Mark Teixeira wiping out badly while surfing? CC Sabathia throwing out his back while hula dancing? Phil Hughes waking up in the middle of the night to find a tarantula on his chest?

The Yankees should probably return their World Series rings to an ancient Hawaiian burial ground to break the tabu. Just watch out for Vincent Price.

1. The Kids - May 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM

The Brady Bunch? What’s that?

2. Old Gator - May 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM

3. Dan in Katonah - May 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

*cue the scary flute music from that episode – Doddledoodledoo*
    It’s because they dug up that Red Sox jersey that the construction guy tried to sneak into the concrete before the stadium was finished.

4. YankeesfanLen - May 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

After tonight, when Andy could win in another 4+ hour marathon, at least the schedule lightens up a bit, at least until the ASB. Biggest challenge is next week’s Twin foray in Target Field. Then Indians, O’s, Blue Jays (at the start of their fade), O’s and Astros (take note: have pitchers strike out).
    Absolutely HATE the lineup we are currently obliged to play, but maybe as Granderson, Swisher come back we might muddle through and keep over 600. Honestly don’t care if Nick Johnson comes back, the DH should be Posada et al for the season.
    And, hey, Jeter and Tex, can you hit a little better in the interim?

5. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

It’s hardly a ridiculous amount of injuries. They’ve lost 17 games from Granderson, 5 from Swisher, and 16 from Johnson, and maybe 5 from Posada. That’s 43 games. The RS have lost 65 games between Ellsbury and Cameron. The NYY lost Aceves while the RS have lost starts from Dice. The RS have had a lot more time lost to injuries, but it’s hardly crippling.
    Neither team has been completely healthy, but neither of these situations strike me as ‘ridiculous’. Every team has guys out with injuries.

6. Moses Green - May 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

It’s not exactly unforseeable for such an old and brittle (Nick Johnson is made of glass) team to be so afflicted. Here’s hoping for some more non-livelihood threatening injuries to key Yankees.

7. The Witch Doctor - May 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

After I shrunk Ted Lilly’s head http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/baseball/mlb/players/6223.jpg I started working my Hoodoovoodoo on the Yankees. http://hogwartsprofessor.com/wp-content/uploads/777/2007/09/witchdoctor1.jpg I will not stop until A-rod has atrophied testicular appendages, You think it was his hip last season? Muhahahahahahaaaa! Do you think he actually wanted to have sex with Madonna (shudder, shudder, ewwww.) As soon as I get this curse straightened out he’s going to be even squeakier! Until then his whole team will feel the wrath of my hoodoo voodoo!
    Captcha: enemies gujarati

8. Ferd - May 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, but the Yankee’s injuries are to players that are actually good.
    heh

9. Benny Blanco - May 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Yankee fans are missing Damon now…

10. Infinite Wisdom - May 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Oddly enough, CC is an avid hula dancer.. so the fear of a back injury is real.
    CAPTCHA – Congressmen barmaids
    Oh, that is a friggen classic!

11. Jonny5 - May 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Say it aint so. That’s just unnatural and disturbing. I hope I can sleep tonight without that image getting into my dreams…..

12. Jacob - May 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The Brady Bunch trip to the Grand Canyon made for better TV, although the Hawaii episodes may fall into the so-bad-it’s-good category.

13. Bobby - May 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, right! It was so effective that the Yankees won in 2009! (end sarcasm)
    The injuries can be explained easily. It’s the Curse of Nick Johnson.

14. John F - May 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I know nobody will take this seriously, but I think Juan Miranda can do everything Nick Johnson can do. He’s had some great at bats, doesn’t get cheated and absolutely crushed that Beckett offering the other night. He should be the DH against all RHP in my opinion. He’d hit 15-20 homers and knock in 75 no problem. He won’t walk as much as Johnson, but he won’t be as timid as Johnson either. He’s got legit power and takes a man’s hack. I don’t like losing games we should have won and there’s been about five so far this year, but I love watching farm kids nobody thought were any good like Gardner, Cervelli and Miranda do well. Tampa is an excellent team, but if we can sidestep these injuries we should have no problem making the playoffs. After that it’s a crapshoot as always. Just my two cents.

15. Joey B - May 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM

“At least the core of the lineup is playing. As long as Jeter, A-Rod, Cano and Teixeira are healthy, these injuries mean nothing. The outfield is mediocre at best when healthy anyway.”
    I was thinking the same thing. Posada hurts, but almost anyone can replace Johnson. Even with the RS, Hall, MacDonald, and Van Every were our #25, 26, and 27 players and weren’t supposed to get any real ABs, let alone 200 PAs this early, but they really haven’t played badly. And like I said, eveyone has injuries.

16. scatterbrian - May 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

That was such a ridiculous episode–I know, on an otherwise sensible TV show. Mr. Brady is sent to Hawaii to oversee the construction of one of his buildings, and Mr. Phillips decides to foot the bill for Brady, his wife, their six kids and their maid?

17. Infinite Wisdom - May 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Sleep well, my friend. He does not hulu dance.. As far as I know. That would be rather menacing.
    CAPTCHA – figurine world
    That’s where I live.

18. justin - May 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM

19. Joey B - May 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM

“You should applaud the games that Matzusaka missed , because if he had pitched in them he would have blown them . No offense , but he’s a total bum . The scout who advised Boston to sign him ought to be shot . I’m just sayin .”
    No offense taken. Over his first three seasons, he’s been paid $1.4M per win, with an average of 12-7 with a 4.00. He’s costing us #1 money for a mediocre #2 type pitcher. But 12-7 with a 4.00 is hardly a bum, just overpaid. But compared to what a lot of other expensive pitchers are getting, $1.4M per win is not terrible. As good as CC was last year, he’s still paid $1.2M/win.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3301)