Theo Epstein pulled a Bobby Valentine at the Pearl Jam show

May 20, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Confused? You won’t be if you click over the Big League Stew and check out the paparazzi pics of the Red Sox’ GM going under cover at the surprisingly controversial Monday night concert.

I know Bill Simmons is a big fan, but is there such a great overlap in Red Sox and Peal Jam fans that requires Espstein to dress up like this?  Between this and that business with the gorilla suit a couple of years ago, methinks that someone is overestimating just how stalkable he is.

1. Grant - May 20, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Peter Gammons is both a huge fan of the Red Sox and a huge fan of Pearl Jam…

2. Michael - May 20, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I know that Peter Gammons is a HUGE Pearl Jam fan.

3. EShine - May 20, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Overestimating? Someone took pictures of him in his disguise and some Red Sox fans are upset he was there in the first place. Sounds like he should have considered the gurilla suit.

4. dp - May 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Theo the boy genius had better start thinking about keeping his job instead of going to concerts . I’d love to see what the Yankees would do to Cashman if he cost them 100+ mil. on a bum like Dice-k , (the pillsbury doughboy) I guarantee you he would be looking for work . This guy needs to be held accountable for his blunders , instead he’s going to concerts . What a jerk-off.

5. Aarcraft - May 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Yeah, I hope someone holds him accountable for winning two more championships this decade than the Red Sox pulled off over the eighty-years prior to his tenure. How dare he enjoy himself after such mediocrity.

6. Charles Gates - May 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

And I bet he wasted ~4 hours last night sleeping. Effin’ slacker.

7. GimmeSomeSteel - May 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Not to defend the overrated and endlessly self-promoting “boy genius”, but let’s look at some of Cashman’s “best”–
    Carl Pavano
    Jaret Wright
    Kei Igawa
    and that’s just off the top of my head.

8. KJ - May 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Theo’s not underestimating how stalkable he is. Someone took that picture, right? The Boston Herald hides in the bushes outside restaurants to report on what he orders. He also had his car smashed up and was threatened a couple years ago by some loon who didn’t want Manny traded. In his position, I’d be wearing a wig and carrying a Taser.
    I imagine there was quite an argument with his wife before they left the house with him looking like that, though.

9. Big Harold - May 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

First a gorilla suit now a fake stash??
    Wearing a fake stash is the most idiotic thing anybody could imagine. Did he for a minute think it was going to work?? His team is floundering, playing it arch rival and he’s going to concerts in disguise. He’s lucky he’s the Red Sox GM because in a big media town like New York, Chicago or LA he’d be crucified and rightfully so. I can only imagine the trash the Nation would be talking if Cashman was walking around in disguise.
    What next, he adds the fake glasses and nose to the stash? How far away is he from orange wig, big red nose and big floppy shoes?

10. scatterbrian - May 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I think that’s actually a lost Giambi brother, not an Allman brother…
    Does Theo not understand that disguises not only require you to alter your appearance, but your habits as well? Evidently he is more comfortable answering questions about why his wife was at a Pearl Jam concert with another dude.

11. Sonny - May 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Can you blame her ?

12. dp - May 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM

You have me there . My only defense is Cashman got three scumbags for roughly the price of the doughboy, (dice-k) that’s my story and I’m sticking to it .

13. lanny - May 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Theo is a jerk -off .

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline