And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

May 21, 2010, 5:45 AM EST

Griffey mobbed.jpgMariners
4, Blue Jays 3
: Ken Griffey, Jr. with the pinch hit, game-winning
RBI single.  Don Wakamatsu was ejected before Griffey was sent in to the game, so it wasn’t his call.  However, a source of mine secretly
recorded the conversation that the remaining coaching staff had before
Junior was allowed to go up and pinch hit:

Bench Coach: Need to pinch hit. Send up Tuiasosopo.

Hitting Coach: What about Griffey?

Bench Coach: Ah, he’s a freakin’ corpse.

Griffey: I’m not dead.

Bench Coach:
What?

Griffey: I’m not dead.

Hitting Coach:
‘Ere, he says he’s not dead.

Bench Coach: Yes he is.

Griffey: I’m not.

Hitting Coach: He isn’t.

Bench Coach: Well, he will be soon, he’s very ill.

Griffey:
I’m getting better.

Bench Coach: No you’re not, you’ll be stone dead in a moment.

Griffey: I think I’ll go for a walk.

Bench Coach: You’re not fooling anyone, you know.

Griffey: I feel happy. I feel happy . . .

Braves 10, Reds 9:  Already hit this one up yesterday, but let me say again: wow. In case you missed it.

Rays 8, Yankees 6: New York fell behind 3-0 early, but tied it up, gave up another run, and then tied it up again before a couple of Carlos Pena homers put the game out of reach. For the second night in a row a ninth inning mini-rally fell short for the Bombers, who dropped both games to the Rays.

Brewers 4, Pirates 3: Tough game: home plate umpire John Hirschbeck was knocked out of the game when a pitch hit him in the mask, Greg Zaun left because he hurt his shoulder, and the Brewers — already a man down due to Jody Gerut’s absence to be with his pregnant wife — ended up pinch-hitting with Yovani Gallardo. No harm, no foul, though, as the Brew Crew won the game and broke their brutal losing streak. Carlos Villanueva with the save. Get used to that.

Cardinals 4, Marlins 2: Adam Wainwright gives up two runs over seven innings — because he basically always pitches seven or more innings — and Matt Holliday had two doubles and a couple of RBI from his new home in the three-hole.

Red Sox 6, Twins 2: The Twins’ loss drops them back into a first place tie with the Tigers.  The offense, she struggles lately, and Francisco Liriano — lights-out in April — is getting the snot beat out of him in May, allowing 16 earned runs in 23.2 innings and losing three in a row.

Phillies 5, Cubs 4: Jose Contreras worked out of trouble in the ninth to get the save. After the game, when asked about what it’s like to be the closer, he said “At the beginning, I thought it was only one inning. Now I know how tough
it is.”  But we should all cut Contreras some slack here. After all, the save stat wasn’t even invented until he had already been pitching for ten or eleven years.

Tigers 5, Athletics 2: One of just several of the two-game series this week that, according to the game stories, resulted in a “sweep.”  Can we make a rule that you can’t “sweep” anything that isn’t at least three games long?

Royals 9, Indians 3: Hey, the Royals aren’t in last place anymore and Ned Yost is 5-2 since taking over last week. Manager of the Year, anyone? Heh — that one guy reading in Charlotte, North Carolina thought I was being serious. Hey, everyone! Let’s laugh at that guy!

Mets 10, Nationals 7: John Maine left the game after throwing only five pitches. The reason: “diminished velocity,” a reason for which I’ve never seen anyone get pulled out of a game before. Four RBI for David Wright and a 15-hit attack covered for the pitching issues, however.  What the Mets will do for a starter now is anyone’s guess. Throw R.A. Dickey once every two days, maybe.

Rockies 4, Astros 0: Sending Ubaldo Jimenez out against this Astros lineup is almost unfair. He one-hit them over seven.  Roy Oswalt (2-5 with a 2.66 ERA) is giving serious thought to stealing a convertible, grabbing Zack Greinke and going on a cross-country crime spree as a result of the run support injustices done unto him for so long.

Dodgers 4, Padres 1: Clayton Kershaw shuts down the Friars, and the Dodgers now stand a mere game out of first place.

Diamondbacks 8, Giants 7: Not something you see every day: Lincecum gives up five runs on five hits in five innings. The Dbacks scored the winning run on a wild pitch by Jeremy Affeldt.

Rangers 13, Orioles 7: Brian Matusz got shelled and the Rangers rapped
out 20 hits in all.  Heck, Baltimore had 15 hits of their own.

Angels 6, White Sox 5: The Angels have won five of seven. The White Sox have lost eight of 12. Random: Mike Scioscia gave Brandon Wood the night off because, he said, he’s “pressing too much.”  It seems like there has been an explosion in the use of the term “pressing” this year. I kind of know what they’re trying to communicate with it — someone’s trying too hard and getting frustrated, maybe — but I’d like someone to explain to me in concrete terms what the evidence is of someone pressing separate and apart from them getting poor results. Can someone ever just suck, while being free and easy out there?  Is there a difference between chasing awful pitches because one is “pressing” and doing so because one simply has crappy plate discipline?  These are the things that keep me awake at night.

1. jwb - May 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM

“Can we make a rule that you can’t “sweep” anything that isn’t at least three games long?”
    Can’t you let ChiSox fans revel in their one game sweep (on the road!) of the Tigers?

2. RobRob - May 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Don’t teams regularly “sweep” doubleheaders?

3. willmose - May 21, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Teams don’t play doubleheaders anymore.

4. Grant - May 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Can we talk about why anyone on the Orioles coaching staff still has a job? Especially Terry Crowley? No wonder attendance is in the toilet. That team is unwatchable.

5. Charles Gates - May 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I’ve temporarily put away my ‘Brian Matuszsszszzsz for ROY’ banner. My front porch has never looked so empty before. Also, I stopped sacrificing blue crabs and Bud bottles under my candlelit shrine of Matt Wieters.
    I still eat crabs and drink beer, but I do so on the back patio with the BMfROY banner used as a table cloth so my picnic table doesn’t get stained too severely with Old Bay.
    Despite this, I still watch. It’s ‘The Process’ afterall.

6. Moses Green - May 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I believe we have herein advanced the definition of ‘sweep’. RobRob is correct in pointing out that a doubleheader is usually referred to as either “swept” or “split.”
    But a two-game series victory played out over consecutive days is not a sweep. Maybe a “dustbusting”???

7. Jonny5 - May 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Here’s something cool about the pitch Contreras couldn’t control last night. He usually doesn’t get in jams like that when his nasty forkball works. A cool story about how he throws a “true forkball” apparently the only one in the majors who does it. http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_v3?blockID=236050
    ….Craig, I know it had to of crossed your mind, and i know, you’re probably busy and all but….
    Man I’d really like to see your version of baseballs top 50 players. And let’s not take into consideration what was done 3 seasons ago, as some nominees must have been rated on that to make the list. You have a much larger grasp of who’s good, and who’s really good than I do, and obviously I have a better idea of it than the idiots at sporting news,and all their “experts”. Please don’t make me beg.

8. Jonny5 - May 21, 2010 at 8:35 AM

They “Pledged” them. http://realworldservicescompany.com/images/11962329.jpg

9. jwb - May 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM

“Also, I stopped sacrificing blue crabs and Bud bottles”
    Clearly, your error is that you should be sacrificing National Boh bottles.

10. Rich - May 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I fully expect Python refrences in every ATH from now on.

11. (Not That) Tom - May 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Nobody expects the Monty Python references!

12. W - May 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM

So Jon Lester’s complete game in which he allowed one earned run and struck out nine Twins isn’t worth mentioning…

13. Ace - May 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I like where you’re going with this. By this logic, I think the rare 5 game sweep (which the Yanks did to the Sox a few years back) could be called a power vacuuming.

14. Ron - May 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Tony LaRussa will sadly try to get Wainwright to 400 innings pitched this year, in order that he might be eligible for the Cy Young award.
    Sadly, LaRussa hasn’t recieved the memo that only Tim Lincecum is eligible for the next 10 years, rates stats are always better than anyone eles.
    Even though they aren’t, he just pitches more innings.

15. Mike - May 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I could not have said it better now I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

16. mick-7-1961 - May 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Jr’s hit was a ‘sleeper’ single :>)

17. Old Gator - May 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

You want pythons? Come on down to Macondo. We’ve got the damned things all over the place. As well as monitor lizards, iguanas, coneheads, basilisks, non-indigenous anoles galore, Asian blind snakes, and who knows what all else.
    The Feesh ran out of incompetent relievers and AAA starters to swing at and fizzled out when confronted with a good pitcher for a change. For their part, the Feesh sent Chris Leroux, their designated batting practice pitcher out of the boolpen, and his 6.60 ERA back to the minors and dredged up Tim Wood and his 7.27 ERA again. I hope I’m wrong, but even though it’s the White Sox I fear we’ve got an ugly weekend coming up.

18. APBA Guy - May 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

A true O’s fan only sacrifices blue crabs with National Premium. I remember the 24 oz cups of that at Memorial stadium for $ 1.75. I also remember getting lost trying to find my way home after late games.
    Anyway, it wouldn’t have mattered if Detroit had played the A’s 2 games or 20, sweep was the appropriate word. The Tigers were generous and allowed the A’s to score two runs in 18 innings. Former A’s property Jeremy Bonderman always pitches with a “FU Beane” attitude when he’s at the Mausoleum, and yesterday he had it working.
    The Giants come to the Mausoleum tonight for 3 games. It’s going to be “brisk”, which in SF speak means cool and windy, like the old Candlestick days. Brisk also means the ball won’t carry, so the A’s will certainly have issues with the Giants’ pitching.
    Brisk is also why we don’t have pythons, anacondas monitor lizards, and other variety of tropical pests here. Only huge piles of pollen, and maybe some large rodents.

19. Richard Dansky - May 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

You mean Carlos Pena and his silly knees-bent advancing (around the bases) behavior?

20. The Holy Grail - May 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Nice Monty Python reference there govna’.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester