iPads not allowed in Yankee Stadium

May 21, 2010, 11:22 AM EST

iPad.jpgYankee Stadium has always been much harder on people bringing in stuff like bags and food and whatnot, but the latest one has some people angry:  No iPads:

However if you are planning to attend a Yankees home game at Yankee Stadium, leave that iPad at home! The security policies page notes that laptops are not allowed inside Yankee Stadium along with any video equipment. Apparently Yankees Stadium officials have decided that the iPad poses a safety risk. Additional banned devices are those that, “…may interfere with and/or distract any sports participant, other patron, audio or audio/visual telecast or recording of the game or any technology-related service provided in Yankee Stadium.”

Which is kind of silly, given that (a) a lot of parks allow them, such as Fenway; and (b) not even the freakin’ TSA has a problem with these things. They treat them just like phones and allow you to take them through security.  They don’t even make you turn them on or anything like they do with your laptops.  This from the same people who think a bottle of water or a pair of Chuck Taylors are a security risk.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - May 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

For Fangraphs, Twitter, Venuing, MLB app, etc. That’s why.
    And FWIW, when I went to the game a few weeks back, we brought a small backpack with food for my boys… and you can bring in bottled water/juice so long as it is sealed. YS isn’t the “easiest” place on Earth, but it’s not the worst, either.
    The iPad thing is just dumb. I expect it to change shortly

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Craig you wouldn’t understand, because you aren’t a Yankees fan :)

3. KG - May 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Are the Yankees still enforcing their gender-biased bag policy? Guys can’t bring in a bag, but give that bag to a girl and it’s all good. This is the only time that I like the Mets more – they search it, and you’re good to go.

4. thitisbeth - May 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I admit I’m not too much up on technology, but why is the iPad banned when the iPhone is allowed? What does the iPad do that the iPhone doesn’t that’s a security/enjoyment risk? Is it the size?
    (The larger size being a problem might be something I might agree with because who needs something larger at the ballpark when a game is going on (Twitter and stuff can be found on smartphones, which are smaller)–unless there’s a good scorekeeping app on the iPad, in which case, I may have to buy one!)

5. JS - May 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM

There are a few iPad scorekeeping apps….plan to try one out. I design my own scorebook and have it printed, but having it all on iPad would be easier and more compact.

6. Eric Cioe - May 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

“Still, why the heck do you need your iPad in the ballpark anyway? There’s a ballgame going on. Isn’t that enough?”
    Weren’t you just in Cleveland live blogging a game?

7. Craig Calcaterra - May 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Yeah, but that’s sort of, like, my job. When I’m just going to a game as a fan I never have the electronics out. Even with baseball stuff up it’s just too distracting.

8. Eric Cioe - May 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I went and saw Verlander beat Danks last season 2-1. The guy I went with had an iPhone, and we used it to check gameday and find out which pitches he had struck guys out on. There is plenty of time between innings for that sort of thing without missing a single pitch.
    The only difference I can see is that smart phones are small and iPads are not and might serve as a distraction to others. But let’s be honest, distracting others has never been a problem that stadiums have felt the need to fix.

9. YankeesfanLen - May 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Secret method: There’s uniformed police officers about 10 feet from the ticket takers. Go early and ask the cop”May I talk to your dog?”. Smooze. 4 minutes. Then, go show your stuff (duct-taped not-so-small radio, dslr) to the ticket taker and you will get “winked” in. No exploding underpants, though, the German Shepherd dog will get mad.

10. Joey B - May 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I’m not seeing anything wrong with the IPad, and maybe it could be useful, but I’m also thinking that people need to start leaving the gadgets at home. Just kick back and enjoy the game. Talk to people. Look at the scoreboard, the pitchcount, where the OFs are positioned. I’ve seen friends take their Blackberries with them and checking them out every five minutes. I think we all need to detach from the rest of society occasionally or we’ll smother ourselves.

11. Dave - May 21, 2010 at 2:51 PM

The reason they don’t want the laptops and iPads is because they don’t want people “reporting” from the games without proper credentials, etc.
    This has been a growing copyright concern in all sports at all levels for a few years now. I think they’re railing against the tide, but that’s what it’s all about, the protection of their “product” and “content”.
    Basically, the same thing has been happening with photographers to a greater degree. Teams and leagues want “free” use of whatever images are taken in their venues. I.E. they want the publications who send the photographers to basically endure this for the “right to access” the event.
    Publications boycotted an LPGA event in Hawaii for this a couple of years back.
    Has nothing to do with security.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5739)
  2. M. Kemp (3227)
  3. J. Kang (3111)
  4. C. McGehee (3052)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3033)
  1. J. Upton (2957)