May 21, 2010, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the downsides to the first four hitters in the Twins’ batting order having on-base percentages of .365, .358, .410, and .477 is that their already double play-prone No. 5 hitter Michael Cuddyer has an incredible number of chances to make two outs at a time.
Cuddyer has grounded into an MLB-high 12 double plays in 41 games, which puts him on pace to finish with 48 or so double plays on the season and shatter Jim Rice’s all-time record of 36 in 1984. Rice also holds the No. 2 spot with 35 in 1985, and a player has hit into 30 or more DPs just 15 times in baseball history.
Cuddyer leads MLB in DPs and is on pace to break Rice’s record by 35 percent, yet his DP rate–how often he hits into a DP when given an opportunity–isn’t even among the 10 worst. Cuddyer has hit into a double play 24 percent of the time, which is a very high rate and well above his career norms, but Ivan Rodriguez leads MLB at 33 percent and Yadier Molina, Mark DeRosa, Carlos Lee, Orlando Cabrera, Aaron Rowand, Matt LaPorta, Billy Butler, Alberto Callaspo, Paul Konerko, and Garrett Atkins are all above 25 percent.
You’ll notice that, like Cuddyer, nearly all of those guys are right-handed batters without much speed, but unlike Cuddyer not all of them have had a gazillion chances to hit into a double play this year. On the flip side, Twins cleanup hitter Justin Morneau has yet to ground into a double play. In addition to being left-handed and not having his own .477 OBP constantly standing on first base, Morneau also has the lowest ground-ball rate in the entire league. Crushed fly balls are rarely DPs.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)