May 21, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports that Bruce Bochy is going to skip Todd Wellemeyer’s next turn in the Giants’ rotation thanks to an off-day on Monday. Schulman has a source, however, who is telling him that Wellemeyer might be on the outs permanently, and that the Giants are considering bringing up Erick Hacker to take his place.
Hacker is having a great year in Fresno, but he’s got very little track record in the major leagues. This is all about Wellemeyer stinking up the joint to the tune of 5.71 ERA and a K/BB ratio of 29/27. Sure, he’s the fifth starter, but when your 1-4 guys are as awesome as Lincecum, Cain, Zito and Sanchez have been, that kind of sticks out.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)