May 21, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports that Bruce Bochy is going to skip Todd Wellemeyer’s next turn in the Giants’ rotation thanks to an off-day on Monday. Schulman has a source, however, who is telling him that Wellemeyer might be on the outs permanently, and that the Giants are considering bringing up Erick Hacker to take his place.
Hacker is having a great year in Fresno, but he’s got very little track record in the major leagues. This is all about Wellemeyer stinking up the joint to the tune of 5.71 ERA and a K/BB ratio of 29/27. Sure, he’s the fifth starter, but when your 1-4 guys are as awesome as Lincecum, Cain, Zito and Sanchez have been, that kind of sticks out.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)