May 21, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
That’s the prediction of Al Yellon of Bleed Cubbie Blue, who looked on aghast as Ubaldo Jimenez cramped up while running the bases in against the Astros last night:
There are millions of dollars invested in pitchers like this,
including Jimenez, who is signed through 2012 with a couple of
relatively inexpensive (for today’s market) club options for 2013 and
2014. And teams don’t want investments like this injured while doing
something that isn’t their primary responsibility — batting or running
This is why the designated hitter is, I believe, almost certain to
come to the National League, probably by 2012. It will undoubtedly be a
bargaining chip in the next labor negotiation — the current agreement
expires on December 11, 2011.
I’ve seen this line of reasoning before, but even if I think the DH is going to come to the NL eventually — which I do — it won’t be because of some pitcher injury. It will be because the owners want to get a big financial concession from the players in collective bargaining and, in exchange, they throw the DH — usually a highly-paid roster slot — out there in trade.
I don’t see anything like that on the horizon in 2012. The primary issues will be the international draft and draft pick slotting, and I don’t think that the players currently hate those things so much that the owners will have to give them the DH in exchange.
As for the pitcher injuries, jeez, man up, get more potassium and have someone massage that crap out after the game.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)