May 22, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was torched for six runs over 3.1 innings Saturday in a loss to the Angels and now has a 1-4 record, 5.89 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP through nine starts this season. He has looked pretty awful all year, even against lesser opponents than the Angels. On late Saturday afternoon we might have found out why.
Lohse told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he is dealing with some discomfort in his right forearm and a stiffening sensation, adding later that he’s “very” concerned about what could be a serious, long-term issue. He’s going to be evaluated by team doctors on Monday to get a clearer picture of what’s going on.
“This is the first time I’ve felt it all year,” Lohse said. “I kept
trying to battle through it. It’s pretty apparent it wasn’t working
out. … You’ve got to figure out what’s going on. We’ll see what the
picture says and then go from there.”
The Cardinals have already lost Brad Penny to a lat strain this week and may need to dig into the Triple-A Memphis rotation pretty soon. P.J. Walters has already joined the team, in fact, and could make his 2010 major league debut within the next several days.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 16
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 9
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 18
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)