May 22, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was torched for six runs over 3.1 innings Saturday in a loss to the Angels and now has a 1-4 record, 5.89 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP through nine starts this season. He has looked pretty awful all year, even against lesser opponents than the Angels. On late Saturday afternoon we might have found out why.
Lohse told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he is dealing with some discomfort in his right forearm and a stiffening sensation, adding later that he’s “very” concerned about what could be a serious, long-term issue. He’s going to be evaluated by team doctors on Monday to get a clearer picture of what’s going on.
“This is the first time I’ve felt it all year,” Lohse said. “I kept
trying to battle through it. It’s pretty apparent it wasn’t working
out. … You’ve got to figure out what’s going on. We’ll see what the
picture says and then go from there.”
The Cardinals have already lost Brad Penny to a lat strain this week and may need to dig into the Triple-A Memphis rotation pretty soon. P.J. Walters has already joined the team, in fact, and could make his 2010 major league debut within the next several days.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)