May 22, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was torched for six runs over 3.1 innings Saturday in a loss to the Angels and now has a 1-4 record, 5.89 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP through nine starts this season. He has looked pretty awful all year, even against lesser opponents than the Angels. On late Saturday afternoon we might have found out why.
Lohse told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he is dealing with some discomfort in his right forearm and a stiffening sensation, adding later that he’s “very” concerned about what could be a serious, long-term issue. He’s going to be evaluated by team doctors on Monday to get a clearer picture of what’s going on.
“This is the first time I’ve felt it all year,” Lohse said. “I kept
trying to battle through it. It’s pretty apparent it wasn’t working
out. … You’ve got to figure out what’s going on. We’ll see what the
picture says and then go from there.”
The Cardinals have already lost Brad Penny to a lat strain this week and may need to dig into the Triple-A Memphis rotation pretty soon. P.J. Walters has already joined the team, in fact, and could make his 2010 major league debut within the next several days.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)