May 22, 2010, 7:39 PM EST
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was torched for six runs over 3.1 innings Saturday in a loss to the Angels and now has a 1-4 record, 5.89 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP through nine starts this season. He has looked pretty awful all year, even against lesser opponents than the Angels. On late Saturday afternoon we might have found out why.
Lohse told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he is dealing with some discomfort in his right forearm and a stiffening sensation, adding later that he’s “very” concerned about what could be a serious, long-term issue. He’s going to be evaluated by team doctors on Monday to get a clearer picture of what’s going on.
“This is the first time I’ve felt it all year,” Lohse said. “I kept
trying to battle through it. It’s pretty apparent it wasn’t working
out. … You’ve got to figure out what’s going on. We’ll see what the
picture says and then go from there.”
The Cardinals have already lost Brad Penny to a lat strain this week and may need to dig into the Triple-A Memphis rotation pretty soon. P.J. Walters has already joined the team, in fact, and could make his 2010 major league debut within the next several days.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)