May 22, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was torched for six runs over 3.1 innings Saturday in a loss to the Angels and now has a 1-4 record, 5.89 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP through nine starts this season. He has looked pretty awful all year, even against lesser opponents than the Angels. On late Saturday afternoon we might have found out why.
Lohse told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he is dealing with some discomfort in his right forearm and a stiffening sensation, adding later that he’s “very” concerned about what could be a serious, long-term issue. He’s going to be evaluated by team doctors on Monday to get a clearer picture of what’s going on.
“This is the first time I’ve felt it all year,” Lohse said. “I kept
trying to battle through it. It’s pretty apparent it wasn’t working
out. … You’ve got to figure out what’s going on. We’ll see what the
picture says and then go from there.”
The Cardinals have already lost Brad Penny to a lat strain this week and may need to dig into the Triple-A Memphis rotation pretty soon. P.J. Walters has already joined the team, in fact, and could make his 2010 major league debut within the next several days.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)