May 22, 2010, 1:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Penny was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left lat muscle, according to Matthew Leach of MLB.com.
He received an anti-inflammatory shot in the area of the injury this morning and hopes to resume throwing in about a week.
“Right now we think it’ll be a minimal stay on the 15-day,” Mozeliak
said on Saturday morning. “That’s what we’re hopeful of.”
The team recalled right-hander P.J. Walters from Triple-A Memphis to take his place on the roster.
10:21 AM: Brad Penny slugged his first career grand slam on Friday night, off Joel Pineiro no less, but was forced to leave the game after just three innings due to a strained muscle in the right side of his back. He told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he felt a twinge in the muscle after his last start, but did not disclose the injury to the team.
“I don’t think (Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan) were aware of it,” Penny
said. “It was something I was trying to deal with between starts. If it
was my shoulder, I’d be a lot more worried. … I could feel it when I
reached back for something. I was hoping there wouldn’t be a problem.
But there was something.”
I’m not going to act like this is a problem exclusive to the Cardinals, but Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote the following on his Twitter feed:
Strong sense Penny isn’t the only player not
disclosing condition to med/training staff. Either that, or club is
playing loose with truth.
If you recall, this isn’t the first time this season that a Cardinals
player has failed to disclose an injury to the team. Felipe Lopez didn’t tell the team about the discomfort in his elbow until
after he threw 21 pitches in the 20-inning marathon game against the
Mets on April 17. He just returned from the disabled list on Monday.
Penny is slated to undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine whether he will require a trip to the disabled list.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)