Javier Vazquez dominates Mets before leaving with finger injury

May 22, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT

Vazquez 2.jpgJavier Vazquez looked brilliant with the switch back to National League rules on Friday night, holding the Mets to just one hit — a fifth inning single by Angel Pagan — over six shutout innings, while striking out six and walking two. Mariano Rivera made things interesting in the ninth, but the Yankees held on to win the game 2-1.

Vazquez needed just 70 pitches to complete six innings, and was well on his way to even more, but the strong performance took a backseat once he was forced to leave the game after bunting the ball off his right index finger in the top of the seventh inning. According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, X-rays on the finger came back negative.

“It’s frustrating, but the good news is that the finger is good and the
X-rays were negative,” Vazquez said. “I’m pretty sure I’m going to make
my next start.”

1. YankeesfanLen - May 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

This “Javy Project” is taking a while to come around, however he wasn’t bad in Detroit last week either, and will probably be rotated to make the best use of interleague slots. Hey, 4 wins vs NL is still 4 wins.

2. jackie boy - May 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Maybe it’s a good time to talk to Houston about Roy Oswalt . Vazquez clearly pitches better in the NL , and he’s only signed until the end of the season . It’s just a thought .

3. Old Gator - May 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM

It’s a good thought, too. But what if Javy brings along in his crooked finger the evil spirit that has accursed the Borg? Well, I guess if the rest of the Astros went down with injuries and they had to bring up their entire AAA affiliate, no one would really notice anyway.

4. Ryan - May 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM

…or maybe walking 2 and striking out 6?

5. D.J. Short - May 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Thanks Ryan. Perhaps I’m still a little bitter about benching him on my fantasy team.

6. Ryan - May 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM

It happens. I’m still bitter about not picking him up when he was dropped in my league. I wasn’t quick enough.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5464)