May 22, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Phillies shortstop Juan Castro broke up the effort with a broken-bat single into left field. Matsuzaka had two outs in the eighth inning at the time. Still, a fine showing from the right-hander, who had a 7.89 ERA and a 1.52 WHIP in four starts since being activated from the disabled list on May 1.
7:32pm: Daisuke Matsuzaka is putting on a show this evening in Philadelphia and actually has a no-hitter through seven innings. He has walked three and fanned five.
We’ll keep an eye on the game to see if Dice-K can make history against one of the National League’s best offenses. He’s up to 93 pitches with six outs to go and David Ortiz has been replaced at first base by the more agile Kevin Youkilis. This baby’s getting serious.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)