May 22, 2010, 1:37 PM EST
UPDATE: Ladson spoke with Norris, who said he expects to miss five to seven days due to a concussion.
11:07 AM: According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, Nationals prospect catcher Derek Norris was hospitalized after being hit in the head by a fastball during a game with Class A Potomac on Friday night.
Norris was reportedly motionless on the field for 10 minutes before being taken away in an ambulance. According to a statement released by the team, Norris was conscious and able to move his extremities upon his arrival to the hospital.
“His vitals are fine and everything looks promising,” said Doug Harris,
the Nationals’ director of player development.
Norris, 21, is regarded as the organization’s best hitting prospect. He batted .286/.413/.513 with 23 home runs and 84 RBI with Single-A Harrisburg last season. He is batting .317/.472/.439 with one home run and six RBI over his first 41 at-bats this season after missing five weeks due to a broken bone in his right hand.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)