May 22, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
According to T.R. Sullivan and Chris Cox of MLB.com, the Rangers would be interested in trading for Rod Barajas if and when the Mets become sellers.
The Rangers had interest in Barajas as a contingency plan before he signed an incentive-laden one-year, $500,000 contract with the Mets during spring training. It was a pretty easy choice for Barajas at the time, as he was assured of a starting gig in New York, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden were expected to open the season on the major league roster in Texas.
Barajas has been a pleasant surprise with the Mets, batting .269/.299/.571 over his first 119 at-bats. He leads the Mets and all major league catchers with 10 home runs. Meanwhile, Texas catchers have combined to bat just .200/.292/.300 with four home runs and 15 RBI. Saltalamacchia and Teagarden are now both in the minor leagues, with Matt Treanor and Max Ramirez functioning as the new tandem in the majors.
Barajas previously played with the Rangers from 2004-2006, but don’t look for a return anytime soon. Remember, the Mets refused to acknowledge themselves as sellers in the disaster that was last season, so it’s hard to imagine a scenario where they’d let him go.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)