May 22, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
According to T.R. Sullivan and Chris Cox of MLB.com, the Rangers would be interested in trading for Rod Barajas if and when the Mets become sellers.
The Rangers had interest in Barajas as a contingency plan before he signed an incentive-laden one-year, $500,000 contract with the Mets during spring training. It was a pretty easy choice for Barajas at the time, as he was assured of a starting gig in New York, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden were expected to open the season on the major league roster in Texas.
Barajas has been a pleasant surprise with the Mets, batting .269/.299/.571 over his first 119 at-bats. He leads the Mets and all major league catchers with 10 home runs. Meanwhile, Texas catchers have combined to bat just .200/.292/.300 with four home runs and 15 RBI. Saltalamacchia and Teagarden are now both in the minor leagues, with Matt Treanor and Max Ramirez functioning as the new tandem in the majors.
Barajas previously played with the Rangers from 2004-2006, but don’t look for a return anytime soon. Remember, the Mets refused to acknowledge themselves as sellers in the disaster that was last season, so it’s hard to imagine a scenario where they’d let him go.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)