May 23, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
Trevor Hoffman returned to action on Sunday for the first the first time since allowing three earned runs in a blown save opportunity on May 18 against the Reds. He got four days off in total, and it seemed to help him this afternoon as he pitched a perfect eighth inning against the Twins.
He won’t return to closing duties until he can string together several quality innings in setup or middle relief. Carlos Villanueva is covering most of the save chances and John Axford is getting some looks, too. Hoffman believes that will change eventually, though, and he’s probably right.
“It’s about winning ballgames,” the veteran told MLB.com. We briefly discussed it, and [the eighth inning is] obviously not where I want to pitch, but I’ve put myself in this
position and put the team in a [poor] position. [Manager Ken Macha]
needs to worry about many different facets of what’s going on, so if I
go out and throw the ball better than I have for a little bit, then
things will change back.”
Hoffman, 42, has a 13.15 ERA and a 2.15 WHIP this season even with Sunday’s flawless frame. The trust of Macha and the Brewers faithful will return slowly — with time and solid performances.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)