May 23, 2010, 6:41 PM EST
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with Bailey after Sunday’s game. It sounds like he was pulled for precautionary reasons, and might be fine for his next scheduled start.
“They saw me trying to stretch out after (Shin-Soo) Choo’s triple,” he
said. “I wanted to stay in. They weren’t going to let that happen.”
3:44pm: Reds starter Homer Baily left Sunday’s game after just 2.1 innings due to tightness in his right shoulder, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
The Reds are in the midst of a 20-game stretch without a day off and this injury may throw both the rotation and bullpen out of whack. Bailey had strung together two impressive starts heading into Sunday’s action, but is still just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year for the NL Central-leading Reds. He fired his first career shutout on May 12 against the Pirates.
Micah Owings replaced Bailey in the third inning and could be in line for a start later this week if the Reds don’t want to dig into their minor league system for a spot starter. Aroldis Chapman has a blister and wouldn’t be an option anyway, in case some folks are thinking big.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)