May 23, 2010, 6:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with Bailey after Sunday’s game. It sounds like he was pulled for precautionary reasons, and might be fine for his next scheduled start.
“They saw me trying to stretch out after (Shin-Soo) Choo’s triple,” he
said. “I wanted to stay in. They weren’t going to let that happen.”
3:44pm: Reds starter Homer Baily left Sunday’s game after just 2.1 innings due to tightness in his right shoulder, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
The Reds are in the midst of a 20-game stretch without a day off and this injury may throw both the rotation and bullpen out of whack. Bailey had strung together two impressive starts heading into Sunday’s action, but is still just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year for the NL Central-leading Reds. He fired his first career shutout on May 12 against the Pirates.
Micah Owings replaced Bailey in the third inning and could be in line for a start later this week if the Reds don’t want to dig into their minor league system for a spot starter. Aroldis Chapman has a blister and wouldn’t be an option anyway, in case some folks are thinking big.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games