May 23, 2010, 6:41 PM EST
UPDATE: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with Bailey after Sunday’s game. It sounds like he was pulled for precautionary reasons, and might be fine for his next scheduled start.
“They saw me trying to stretch out after (Shin-Soo) Choo’s triple,” he
said. “I wanted to stay in. They weren’t going to let that happen.”
3:44pm: Reds starter Homer Baily left Sunday’s game after just 2.1 innings due to tightness in his right shoulder, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
The Reds are in the midst of a 20-game stretch without a day off and this injury may throw both the rotation and bullpen out of whack. Bailey had strung together two impressive starts heading into Sunday’s action, but is still just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year for the NL Central-leading Reds. He fired his first career shutout on May 12 against the Pirates.
Micah Owings replaced Bailey in the third inning and could be in line for a start later this week if the Reds don’t want to dig into their minor league system for a spot starter. Aroldis Chapman has a blister and wouldn’t be an option anyway, in case some folks are thinking big.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (91)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)