May 23, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT
Mariners outfielder Milton Bradley spoke Saturday with ESPN.com’s Elizabeth Merrill on the strides he’s made as a person since running into trouble in early May with Seattle management. He’s grateful for the help that the M’s have given him this season and was hoping for similar assistance last year in Chicago, but failed to ever ask.
“I wanted to take some time out, get my thoughts together, and just
speak to someone and get an understanding from somebody unbiased,”
Bradley said. “But you can’t really do that in Chicago. There’s just
too much going on.”
Sounding calm and collected in a 45-minute interview with ESPN.com, he attempted to explain why he acts foolishly at times. He claims it’s because he cares, sometimes too much.
“Because I’m a big guy, a 210-pound, 6-foot baseball player, I’m strong
and can hit a baseball a long way,” Bradley said. “But I’m still human.
My heart still pumps the same blood as everyone else. I have feelings
and emotions, and my feelings are deep and strong.”
Bradley, 32, is 5-for-16 with three runs scored since being activated from the restricted list last week. The Mariners, as a team, are 2-2 over that span.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)