May 23, 2010, 2:22 PM EST
The Nats are off to their best start since 2005 with a 22-22 record, but that might not be enough to attract the 32-year-old Oswalt. He’s aiming to hook up with a contender and try for a World Series ring, and his no-trade clause will allow him to pick and choose from a variety of interested teams. It would be a shock if he’s traded before the end of May (or even June) and plenty of other contending clubs are expected to dial the number of Nats GM Mike Rizzo before this saga is through.
That said, it does make some sense. Stephen Strasburg is shooting his way through the Nationals’ farm system and it would be fantastic to have a stand-up veteran like Oswalt in the clubhouse to keep the kid grounded and focused.
Oswalt has a lousy 2-6 record this season through nine starts despite an ERA of 2.66 and a WHIP of 1.07. He has also fanned 60 batters in 61 innings for the Astros, who are in last place in the NL Central.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)