May 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Nationals catcher Ivan Rodriguez was lifted from Saturday night’s game against the Orioles due to what the club called “back trouble.” This morning the Nats’ medical team reached a slightly better diagnosis, according to the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.
Pudge has “tenderness” in his lower back and will miss the next several games in the hope that rest will cure the ailment. Wil Nieves filled in for him on Saturday and is probably going to start behind the plate for the majority of Washington’s upcoming three-game set with the Giants.
The veteran Rodriguez is batting an impressive .325/.351/.439 this season with one home run, 16 RBI and two stolen bases in 123 at-bats. Nieves, meanwhile, is 11-for-54 (.204) in limited action.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 15
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 73
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)