May 23, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Nationals catcher Ivan Rodriguez was lifted from Saturday night’s game against the Orioles due to what the club called “back trouble.” This morning the Nats’ medical team reached a slightly better diagnosis, according to the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.
Pudge has “tenderness” in his lower back and will miss the next several games in the hope that rest will cure the ailment. Wil Nieves filled in for him on Saturday and is probably going to start behind the plate for the majority of Washington’s upcoming three-game set with the Giants.
The veteran Rodriguez is batting an impressive .325/.351/.439 this season with one home run, 16 RBI and two stolen bases in 123 at-bats. Nieves, meanwhile, is 11-for-54 (.204) in limited action.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)