And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

May 24, 2010, 5:00 AM EDT

Francisco Rodrigues Jose Reyes.jpgMets 6, Yankees 4: I ain’t gonna lie to you: I was watching the “Lost”
finale, not Mets-Yankees. Kind of glad I missed this one too, because I just don’t think my senses could take something as implausible as the Mets taking 2 of 3 from the Bombers. Better off staying in the realm of the possible: magic tropical islands with polar bears and malevolent smoke monsters and all of that stuff.

Tigers 6, Dodgers 2: I think Jim Leyland misses the NL. In the ninth he
pinch hit Dontrelle Willis for Phil Coke, but then when Joe Torre
switched pitchers Leyland called back Willis and went with Adam Everett,
and then put on the old squeeze play to score Brandon Inge. He then did
six double switches, changed out the ballpark’s grass for Astroturf and
said that if you had any problem with that you can take it up with league
president Chub Feeney

Marlins
13, White Sox 0
: Brett Carroll stole second base with a 7-0 lead,
so Ozzie Guillen had Randy Williams plunk him. Says Ozzie: “I don’t know
what happened there. This is baseball, you have to
respect. I was up by eight a couple days ago, and that’s just the way we
learned how to play the game. We had to do something
about it, and we did. We just told the guy not to play like that.”  With
all due respect, Ozzie, your team is 18-25 and just had its ass handed
to it 13-0. No one is going to listen to you at this moment about “how
to play the game.”

Cardinals 6, Angels 5: A comeback win for the Cardinals. Albert Pujols
continues to slump, but was part of a double steal that put him on
second base and allowed him to score the tying run in the eighth inning.
“That was Albert reading and making it happen,” manager Tony La Russa
said.  “That quote was Tony La Russa trying to make up with Albert after
stupidly angering him by having guys steal in front of him like he did
on Saturday night
,” I said.

Padres 8, Mariners 1: Close until the eighth inning and then the Mariners bullpen blew up.  The Mariners scored 15 runs on Friday night, but scored one run a piece yesterday and Saturday, so they’re feeling much more like themselves now.

Athletics 3, Giants 0: Of course, the Mariners’ offense looks like freakin’ murderer’s row compared to the Giants, who scored one run in the entire three-game series with the Athletics. Not to take anything away from the A’s, but five pitchers combined on this shutout, and the fact that San Francisco couldn’t touch a single one of them tells you that it’s more about bad hitting than it is good pitching. Jonathan Sanchez received no run support for the fifth time in his nine starts, so he pretty much can punch whoever he wants in the Giants clubhouse right now.

Blue Jays 12, Diamondbacks 4: Just your standard five home run three-game series for Edwin Encarnacion, with three on Friday night and one each the last two games.  The Jays avoid the sweep.

Brewers 4, Twins 3: Trevor Hoffman returned and pitched a scoreless, hitless eighth inning. The Twins had tons of chances, but left boatloads of runners on base.

Rays 10, Astros 6: The Astros managed to score five runs in five inningss off AL ERA leader David Price, but the Tampa Bay bats bashed Houston to make up for it. The Rays are now 32-12, one game off the 2001 Mariners’ record at this point of the season. I’m not gonna say that the Rays will win 116 games, but I remember that 2001 season very well and this Rays team looks stronger in almost every facet of the game than the M’s did.

Rockies 11, Royals 7: Zack Greinke takes a lot of tough-luck losses. This was not one of them (3.1 IP, 9 H, 8 R).

Red Sox 8, Phillies 3: Roy Halladay can’t blame bad luck for yesterday’s game either (5.2 IP, 8 H, 7 R). Tim Wakefield, however, pitched eight scoreless.  Between that and what Dice-K did to them on Saturday, one could say that the Phillies may need to worry about their offense a bit.  Of course, one could also say that there aren’t two pitchers in baseball that screw with your timing more than the eminently deliberate Dice-K and the Knuckle Knuckle King, so maybe it was just one of those weekends.

Cubs 5, Rangers 4: The fact that Carlos Silva is 6-0 is far harder to believe than anything that ever happened on Lost.

Nationals 4, Orioles 3: Walkoff job for Josh Willingham. Drew Storen had a hit too, and is batting 1.000 on the season. If used conventionally, he may not have another plate appearance all year, thereby making him a total beast in all the video games next year. That is, if they haven’t improved the video games any since that old Lance Hafner simulation where a guy with a 1 for 1 career batting line will get a hit every single time he bats no matter what.

Indians 4, Reds 3: The Indians salvage one and stop their losing skid. Homer Bailey left this one early with tightness in his shoulder. Is someone about to be very, very wrong?

Pirates 3, Braves 2: Cox gives Jason Heyward, Chipper Jones and Brian McCann the day off with expected results.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Apparently, you weren’t the only one “Lost” last night. On at least 3 calls last night, John Sterling had the RedSox manager playing right field for the Mets. I. E. “Francona” for “Francoer”.

2. Simon DelMonte - May 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I was able to listen to huge chunks of Mets-Yanks because of all those commercials. And people complain about how slow baseball feels.

3. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM

You actually listen to John Sterling? That makes you … and you.

4. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

BTW Craig, I was thinking about the way to describe your Reds writeup, and the only word is “Verduccian.”

5. Joey B - May 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM

It’s not implausible for the NYMs to take 2-3 from anyone, as long as Santana and Pelfrey are pitching. They have a 3.15 between them. It’s the other three with the 5.56 which is the problem.

6. YankeesfanLen - May 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM

You really can’t predict fans broadcasting preference. It’s not like the other sports, they listen every day and you can’t predict it.

7. mike in MN - May 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM

So, did Ozzie’s team stop trying to score? If the other team should just lay down and die at a certain score, maybe MLB needs a mercy rule…..The only problem with stealing a base with a big lead is that the other team lets it bother them. There is nothing inherently wrong with the act. These unwritten rules continue to be silly.

8. Aussie Braves fan - May 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Considering the Braves just scored 7 in the 9th to win a game last week, I don’t think you can say that a 7 run is insurmountable. Steal away I say unless its a double digit lead after the 7th.

9. Old Gator - May 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I address the “unwritten rules” idiocy in the dedicated thread above, so I’ll abjure from commenting here. However, some things worth noting about yesterday’s rout:
    Josh Johnson pitched six shutout innings without striking anyone out. First time I can recall seeing anything like that out of the big guy.
    Do you sports press guys use a special translator to figure out what the hell Ozzie Guillen is saying? He was pregame interviewed on Friday on Feesh flagsheep Radio 790; I talk easily in Spanish and Espanglish with my neighbors, servicepeople and barflies here in Macondo and I couldn’t make bat shit out of anything he said. Is he considered a genius because he’s aphasic and you’re giving him the benefit of the doubt? Or do you guys just make up what he says and report it to us, assuming he has the same trouble reading what you attributed to him as he did enunciating it in the first place?
    Chris Coghlan, after a spurt of self-realization, is power diving toward the Mendoza Line again.
    The Feesh haven’t made an error in a couple of games or so. Seems like an eternity.
    The Feesh have reverted – or, no, they’re just still playing like they’ve been playing ever since Scrooge McLoria imposed “market adjustment” on his payroll budget: the occasional spurt of crisp, well played games with bats erupting and crooked numbers piling up in the Akashic record, into which the scoreboard occasionally gives us a glimpse (and less occasionally intimates it’s aware of a parallel universe where other games are being played since El Cheapskate-o declined to fix the out-of-town scoreboard in favor of another few hundred square feet of luchre-secreting ad space), and then lurch south into a spurt of dead bats, horrendous fielding and batting practice pitching. The Feesh’s answer to Benoit Mandelbrot’s strange attractor is still .500, and if you want to graph the progress of their season so far, and for the past few years, you’d have to use fractals.

10. HTML Neophyte - May 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Gator, as usual, I enjoy your posts. Here’s an HTML tip to forego the need for periods to be used as proxies for blank lines. Use the [BR] tag to cause your text to break to a new paragraph, leaving a blank line in its wake (replace my square brackets with the proper angular ones that HTML requires).

Cheers.

11. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Is it ironical or just coincidental that the two least intelligible celebrities on earth are both named “Ozzie”?
    I have it on good authority that Ozzie’s Venezuelan Spanish is as difficult to understand for native Spanish-speakers as Ozarks “English” would be for a more continental English speaker.
    Imagine where the Marlins might be if Scrooge had bought even two relievers. Just two!

12. Charles Gates - May 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I was in Baltimore on Sunday. I ordered a half dozen X-Large Maryland Blue’s from LP Steamers in Federal Hill. As suggested in a previous ATH comments section, I had a few bottles of Natty Boh during my crab feast in place of my typical Bud longnecks. To no avail, it seems. Regardless of how I eat crabs, the Os lose. Gator, don’t suggest it – there’s no way I’m ordering them in that garlic and oil a la vodka style…blah.

13. Ron - May 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I’m from the Ozarks.
    I live in England.
    People here understand me just fine.
    Nice sterotyping. Why not just call us dumb hillbilly’s.
    You’re always complaining about race and discrimination here, but you’re one of the worst offenders.

14. APBA Guy - May 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The pesky A’s certainly ruined the terminal hipsters of SF’s weekend by sweeping los Gigantes. A couple of interesting observations:
    1) Mark Ellis return did not displace Adam Rosales. The Hustle King played 3rd twice and left field.
    2) Coco Crisp played two games after missing 42 and sat out yesterday with “soreness”. Hmmm.
    3) The Giants scored 1 run in total against Sheets, Trevor Cahill, and Gio Gonzalez. Is Barry Bonds still available? This was a DH series. Giants DH: 0-11 (Molina, Downs, Uribe).
    The fun’s over for the A’s though, as they begin a 10 game roadtrip. They have a good chance against Baltimore, but then travel to Detroit and Boston. After watching Boston dismantle Halladay yesterday (granted, Roy was not his best) there is little hope for Oakland’s staff.

15. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Difficulty in understanding a person’s accent doesn’t equate anything you just accused me of. I never assume a person has nothing interesting to say just because I don’t understand a word of it. What little I do understand of Ozzie Guillen, I love. If you follow my analogy all the way out, I love both Ozzie’s despite my difficulty in following them.
    Got nothing but love for the Ozarks, and some of the most unevolved people on earth live right down the street from me and drive blacked out BMW’s and live in mansions. One of them is on his way to jail for tax evasion, during his divorce they found out that he had been skimming hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash from all of his businesses for years.
    Seriously Ron, explain to me how my inability to understand a specific accent equates to me stereotyping? And use small words, so I’ll understand the logic that is obviously beyond my ability to comprehend.

16. Old Gator - May 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

See if you can find out when “Ozarks” became a race, too, while you’re at it.

17. Ron - May 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

The same day Americans born and raised in the United States became Mexican.

18. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I see, so you just roll in to take idiotic cheap shots and roll out. Have fun with that. What do you do in England, advise BP on cement?

19. Old Gator - May 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Treaty violation! Is this going to be like the 38th parallel up here?
    Well, at least we know that on March 2, 1836 a whole bunch of Mexicans born and raised in Mexico became Texans, and on February 2, 1848 a whole lot more Mexicans born and raised in Mexico became Americans. I wouldn’t be surprised if Old Leather Lips’ next move was to have her Keystone Komedy Arizona legislature pass a resolution nullifying the Treaty of Guadaloupe-Hidalgo.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3155)