May 24, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
After missing all of last season following elbow surgery Ben Sheets looked awful in his first six starts for the A’s, going 1-3 with a 7.12 ERA and 16/16 K/BB ratio in 30.1 innings.
He’s quietly gotten back on track since then and shut out the Giants for six innings in a no-decision yesterday afternoon to give him a 2.52 ERA and 29/12 K/BB ratio in his last four outings.
His raw stuff still hasn’t returned all the way, but he’s at least no longer looking like a complete waste of $10 million for Billy Beane and company.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)