May 24, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
After missing all of last season following elbow surgery Ben Sheets looked awful in his first six starts for the A’s, going 1-3 with a 7.12 ERA and 16/16 K/BB ratio in 30.1 innings.
He’s quietly gotten back on track since then and shut out the Giants for six innings in a no-decision yesterday afternoon to give him a 2.52 ERA and 29/12 K/BB ratio in his last four outings.
His raw stuff still hasn’t returned all the way, but he’s at least no longer looking like a complete waste of $10 million for Billy Beane and company.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)