May 24, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Aramis Ramirez’s walk-off homer last Monday provided some reason for optimism in the midst of a season-long slump, but he’s 0-for-13 with seven strikeouts since then and is now dealing with a thumb injury.
X-rays and an MRI exam both came back negative, but Ramirez was out of the lineup yesterday and is expected to miss several more games with what is being called a bone bruise between his left thumb and index finger.
Lou Piniella told the Chicago Tribune that a trip to the disabled list has “never been brought up,” but added that Ramirez “is going to get himself a little time off” because “he’s struggled at home plate” and “sometimes time heals wounds … you work and you work and sometimes it’s better to get away from it totally and just relax.”
In other words, it sounds like the stint on the bench is partly due to the injury and partly due to his .160 batting average. Jeff Baker and Mike Fontenot will split time at third base until Ramirez returns, with Baker starting against lefties and Fontenot facing righties.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 20
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (110)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)