May 24, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Aramis Ramirez’s walk-off homer last Monday provided some reason for optimism in the midst of a season-long slump, but he’s 0-for-13 with seven strikeouts since then and is now dealing with a thumb injury.
X-rays and an MRI exam both came back negative, but Ramirez was out of the lineup yesterday and is expected to miss several more games with what is being called a bone bruise between his left thumb and index finger.
Lou Piniella told the Chicago Tribune that a trip to the disabled list has “never been brought up,” but added that Ramirez “is going to get himself a little time off” because “he’s struggled at home plate” and “sometimes time heals wounds … you work and you work and sometimes it’s better to get away from it totally and just relax.”
In other words, it sounds like the stint on the bench is partly due to the injury and partly due to his .160 batting average. Jeff Baker and Mike Fontenot will split time at third base until Ramirez returns, with Baker starting against lefties and Fontenot facing righties.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17