May 24, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Aramis Ramirez’s walk-off homer last Monday provided some reason for optimism in the midst of a season-long slump, but he’s 0-for-13 with seven strikeouts since then and is now dealing with a thumb injury.
X-rays and an MRI exam both came back negative, but Ramirez was out of the lineup yesterday and is expected to miss several more games with what is being called a bone bruise between his left thumb and index finger.
Lou Piniella told the Chicago Tribune that a trip to the disabled list has “never been brought up,” but added that Ramirez “is going to get himself a little time off” because “he’s struggled at home plate” and “sometimes time heals wounds … you work and you work and sometimes it’s better to get away from it totally and just relax.”
In other words, it sounds like the stint on the bench is partly due to the injury and partly due to his .160 batting average. Jeff Baker and Mike Fontenot will split time at third base until Ramirez returns, with Baker starting against lefties and Fontenot facing righties.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)