May 24, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
He’s not Griffey or Jeter, but to Rockies fans Todd Helton is close in terms of importance and stature. Which is why I was rather shocked to see this today from Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post:
Rather than pick up a piece of lumber
from the bat rack, Todd Helton should grab some pine on the bench. Is it baseball blasphemy to suggest the Rockies should sit down the
best player in franchise history?
At age 36, he’s not Beltin’ Helton anymore.
Of course, Kiszla suggests that it should be the 39 year-old Jason Giambi who should take Helton’s job, so he ain’t exactly thinking long term here.
Helton is getting base at a more-than-healthy .393 clip. The problem is his power, which is non-existent. It would be one thing if the Rockies had some monster first base prospect hanging around, but they don’t. They have Jason Giambi who, however useful he has been off the bench, is not going to help anyone starting at first base every day. Putting Giambi in that role does not solve any problems. It just angers the fans and the guy the Rockies are paying $16 million a year to be the franchise.
Maybe Helton shouldn’t be hitting in the middle of the order anymore, but he’s not going to the bench. Nor should he.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)