May 24, 2010, 8:18 AM EDT
Today is the first time anyone has had a day off in a week and a half — and 22 teams have the day off — so you can imagine a bunch of them are going to take stock. One of them is the Orioles, and after yesterday’s performance, one has to wonder if they’re going to do what is coming sooner or later anyway: fire Dave Trembley.
And when I say yesterday’s performance, I’m not talking about the on-the-field performance. I’m talking postgame. Trembley, usually a pretty even-keeled guy, was testy yesterday afternoon, walking out of his postgame press conference after being asked why Corey Patterson failed to tag up on a long fly. That one has a pretty easy answer — he’s Corey Patterson and he’s not very good at baseball — but normally a manager will stay away from that sort of thing. Trembley didn’t. He disgustingly told the reporter to go ask Patterson and then left the session. The Baltimore Sun’s Kevin Cowherd said Trembley “was as beaten as I’ve ever seen him.”
If Trembley is truly defeated he is no longer providing the one thing he’s supposed to be providing: a calm and peaceful environment in which the young players can develop. Maybe that all disappeared as soon as this team — which everyone was rather optimistic about over the winter — stumbled out of the gate. But if Trembley is grouching around the clubhouse, it’s over.
Cowherd says he hears whispers that Trembley could be terminated as early as
today. He also notes that a day off without travel like today is the kind of day when owners and general managers get together to talk about such matters, so stay tuned.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)