May 24, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
We’re starting to get some legitimate trade deadliney and transactiony stuff happening this week. That means Ken Rosenthal is transitioning out of early season hey-let’s-propose-some-wacky-realignment-thing mode and into what he does best: reporting the rumors and offering some genuinely informed speculation on who could be on the move and where. Today’s latest:
- Robo gets creative and imagines a conversation between Astros’ owner Drayton McLane and GM Ed Wade about how it’s not realistic to expect the moon for Roy Oswalt. At least, that is, if Steve Phillips doesn’t land a GM job in the next few weeks;
- Carlos Zambrano is poised to head to the Cubs rotation, but there’s really no room for him, what with the pretty darn good work the staff has put in thus far. Feel that? Trade winds!
- Jose Bautista, Paul Konkerko, and Ty Wigginton could all be available at the deadline. And they just happen to lead all of baseball in home runs, which is neat. Hear that? That’s Brian Sabean about to buy high!
- The Nats are likely to strike a deal to keep Adam Dunn in Washington. This isn’t terribly surprising. More surprising: Rosenthal calls Dunn a “clubhouse leader.” I’d actually buy this inasmuch as every clubhouse needs a big amiable guy with a good sense of humor. Marty Brennamen, however, is rolling over in his grave.
What? Brennamen isn’t dead yet? I’ll be damned.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (84)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)