May 24, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
We’re starting to get some legitimate trade deadliney and transactiony stuff happening this week. That means Ken Rosenthal is transitioning out of early season hey-let’s-propose-some-wacky-realignment-thing mode and into what he does best: reporting the rumors and offering some genuinely informed speculation on who could be on the move and where. Today’s latest:
- Robo gets creative and imagines a conversation between Astros’ owner Drayton McLane and GM Ed Wade about how it’s not realistic to expect the moon for Roy Oswalt. At least, that is, if Steve Phillips doesn’t land a GM job in the next few weeks;
- Carlos Zambrano is poised to head to the Cubs rotation, but there’s really no room for him, what with the pretty darn good work the staff has put in thus far. Feel that? Trade winds!
- Jose Bautista, Paul Konkerko, and Ty Wigginton could all be available at the deadline. And they just happen to lead all of baseball in home runs, which is neat. Hear that? That’s Brian Sabean about to buy high!
- The Nats are likely to strike a deal to keep Adam Dunn in Washington. This isn’t terribly surprising. More surprising: Rosenthal calls Dunn a “clubhouse leader.” I’d actually buy this inasmuch as every clubhouse needs a big amiable guy with a good sense of humor. Marty Brennamen, however, is rolling over in his grave.
What? Brennamen isn’t dead yet? I’ll be damned.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 20
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29