May 24, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
We’re starting to get some legitimate trade deadliney and transactiony stuff happening this week. That means Ken Rosenthal is transitioning out of early season hey-let’s-propose-some-wacky-realignment-thing mode and into what he does best: reporting the rumors and offering some genuinely informed speculation on who could be on the move and where. Today’s latest:
- Robo gets creative and imagines a conversation between Astros’ owner Drayton McLane and GM Ed Wade about how it’s not realistic to expect the moon for Roy Oswalt. At least, that is, if Steve Phillips doesn’t land a GM job in the next few weeks;
- Carlos Zambrano is poised to head to the Cubs rotation, but there’s really no room for him, what with the pretty darn good work the staff has put in thus far. Feel that? Trade winds!
- Jose Bautista, Paul Konkerko, and Ty Wigginton could all be available at the deadline. And they just happen to lead all of baseball in home runs, which is neat. Hear that? That’s Brian Sabean about to buy high!
- The Nats are likely to strike a deal to keep Adam Dunn in Washington. This isn’t terribly surprising. More surprising: Rosenthal calls Dunn a “clubhouse leader.” I’d actually buy this inasmuch as every clubhouse needs a big amiable guy with a good sense of humor. Marty Brennamen, however, is rolling over in his grave.
What? Brennamen isn’t dead yet? I’ll be damned.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)