May 24, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
We’re starting to get some legitimate trade deadliney and transactiony stuff happening this week. That means Ken Rosenthal is transitioning out of early season hey-let’s-propose-some-wacky-realignment-thing mode and into what he does best: reporting the rumors and offering some genuinely informed speculation on who could be on the move and where. Today’s latest:
- Robo gets creative and imagines a conversation between Astros’ owner Drayton McLane and GM Ed Wade about how it’s not realistic to expect the moon for Roy Oswalt. At least, that is, if Steve Phillips doesn’t land a GM job in the next few weeks;
- Carlos Zambrano is poised to head to the Cubs rotation, but there’s really no room for him, what with the pretty darn good work the staff has put in thus far. Feel that? Trade winds!
- Jose Bautista, Paul Konkerko, and Ty Wigginton could all be available at the deadline. And they just happen to lead all of baseball in home runs, which is neat. Hear that? That’s Brian Sabean about to buy high!
- The Nats are likely to strike a deal to keep Adam Dunn in Washington. This isn’t terribly surprising. More surprising: Rosenthal calls Dunn a “clubhouse leader.” I’d actually buy this inasmuch as every clubhouse needs a big amiable guy with a good sense of humor. Marty Brennamen, however, is rolling over in his grave.
What? Brennamen isn’t dead yet? I’ll be damned.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)