The Astros bring an organist back to the ballpark

May 24, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT

The Astros may be in last place, but they’re doing something first rate: bringing back an organist to the ballpark. At least for Sunday home games anyway:

Connors might play the Adam’s Family theme song, a Mexican Hat dance,
the Pink Panther theme song, or even the YMCA.

“Who would have thought we could do the YMCA and have a crowd doing
the motions?” Connors said. “It’s great when 50,000 people unconsciously
set down their hot dogs and drinks and start clapping.”

Um, we’ll let the facts that he (a) plays “YMCA”; and (b) thinks that 50,000 people go to Astros game slide. Because organ music at the ballpark is cool, dadgummit, and we’re all very very happy about this, right?

(link via Ballpark Digest)

1. Aarcraft - May 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I think he meant over the course of a week.

2. Jonny5 - May 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I’m not a fan of the organ music. I like it as a garnish, but not for an entire game. You know what they say, ” If You play with your Organ too much you’ll grow hair on your palms, or go blind.” Who wants that?

3. CG Hudson - May 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Speaking of old timey goings on at the ballpark, the Reds are going “unplugged” tonight to commemorate the first night game at Crosley: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/night_game.jsp

4. KR - May 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

The organist at Nationals Park played “Subdivisions” by Rush at a game I was at earlier this year, which I found pretty much awesome. Also “Take Five” by Dave Brubeck.
    I do not recall hearing YMCA, for which I am thankful.

5. Mike S - May 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

How does one get a job as a ballpark organist? Nancy Faust is retiring and I live across the street from The Cell. I’d love to play at the occasional game.

6. Dr Paisley - May 24, 2010 at 5:44 PM

All ballparks with live organists should be required, at least once a season, to perform “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” to the tune of “House of the Rising Sun,” preferably with Eric Burden leading the sing-a-long.
    “Rhodesia vitamin”

7. Loren - May 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I hate all the bad rock and loud sound effects at balparks as much as the next old fogey, but I’m not all that attached to organ music either. I tried to think what I would like to hear and a ballpark and I decided that it should be drums.
    I know there are a lot of fan drummers around the league, but some team should try an amplified drummer (or drum section) as it’s primary music. The A’s play some recorded drums and it sounds good, but a live drummer who could pound out some different beats would be awesome. Well, I don’t actually know if it would be awesome, but I think it’s worth a try.
    Maybe you could take it a step further and have a house band. I think my real problem with the current ballpark sound track is that it’s all canned. People like organ music because it’s live (and traditional I guess), but if people really liked organ music why don’t we hear it on the radio?
    So there it is, when I buy a team I’m going to hire a house band to fire up the crowd with 15 second riffs and entertain them through the inning breaks and pitching changes with two minute songs.

8. Richard Dansky - May 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Addams, people, ADDAMS!
    Can Gomez and Morticia get no love at all?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto