The Phillies are scouting Bobby Jenks and J.J. Putz

May 24, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

White Sox relievers J.J. Putz and Bobby Jenks are being scouted by the Phillies, reports ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine.

This makes sense for the Phillies given the fact that they’re trotting Jose Contreras out there as their closer at present.  Both Jenks and Putz are striking out a ton of guys an inning, so either of them would be nice additions. The White Sox say they aren’t giving up yet, but they’re seven and a half games back already, so you have to figure that they need to go on an utter tear to keep them out of the sellers column much longer.

In other news, “Putz and Jenks” sounds like some 1950s cartoon cat
and mouse team.

1. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Jose Contreras has been the best relief pitcher in all of creation this year. All I know is, Matthew Pouliot loves the guy, and he’s really taken to the pen. He gets to face guys who’ve never seen his forkball all the time now, and throw as hard as he can for short stints.
    I never disagree with M.P. – except when it comes to position changes and the defensive ability of players to make those changes. Other than that it doesn’t pay to try and out-analyze him. Not that you tried to do that CC.

2. Jonny5 - May 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Agreed Moses, Contreras is a monster out of the pen so far. I’ve seen him get into exactly one jam this season because his forkball just wasn’t hitting the strike zone, which he was able to dig out of with his fastball. I think the Phills, unless there’s an unknown such as an injury, have one of the best potential closers I’ve seen in Philly in a long time. Yes I think he’s better than Lidge was when he had his “perfect” season. On top of that, he seems like a very good guy. I guess I’d like to see Putz in some red stripes as a setup man, but don’t mess with our new closer Jose C imo.

3. trampslikeus - May 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM

wow, this guy must be really really really good. I’m thinking you fellas were convinced Mili Vanilli were the next Beatles too.

4. Moses Green - May 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Nope, that was Terence Trent D’Arby.
    Maybe he comes back down to earth, but as a disinterested observer it sure looks like you have to ride him until he can’t run no more.

5. Utley's hair - May 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Hey, Craig, are you going to offer your legal services to JJ Putz if he wants to begin the process of changing his if he were to come here?

recaptcha (as I view Collins’ presser online): vocalize successor

6. JBerardi - May 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

In 14 innings this year, Contreras has a 0.698 WHIP. Bobby Jenks is at 1.867.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3516)