May 24, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
The Reds have had a look-see at Homer Bailey’s shoulder and have decided to place him on the 15-day DL. They called up righty Enerio Del Rosario to take his place on the roster.
Bailey is just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year, but his last two full outings had been pretty darn good: two runs over seven innings against the Brewers and before that a lights-out performance while shutting out the Pirates.
People will probably blame Dusty Baker for this, but it’s not like he’s been terribly overworked this season. He’s had one outing of 120+ pitches — immediately after which he was shelled by the Cubs — but those two good outings came after that, and he’s otherwise been treated humanely as far as I can tell.
Pitchers get hurt sometimes. Homer Bailey is hurt.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)