May 24, 2010, 3:25 PM EST
The Reds have had a look-see at Homer Bailey’s shoulder and have decided to place him on the 15-day DL. They called up righty Enerio Del Rosario to take his place on the roster.
Bailey is just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year, but his last two full outings had been pretty darn good: two runs over seven innings against the Brewers and before that a lights-out performance while shutting out the Pirates.
People will probably blame Dusty Baker for this, but it’s not like he’s been terribly overworked this season. He’s had one outing of 120+ pitches — immediately after which he was shelled by the Cubs — but those two good outings came after that, and he’s otherwise been treated humanely as far as I can tell.
Pitchers get hurt sometimes. Homer Bailey is hurt.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)