May 24, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
The Reds have had a look-see at Homer Bailey’s shoulder and have decided to place him on the 15-day DL. They called up righty Enerio Del Rosario to take his place on the roster.
Bailey is just 1-2 with a 5.51 ERA on the year, but his last two full outings had been pretty darn good: two runs over seven innings against the Brewers and before that a lights-out performance while shutting out the Pirates.
People will probably blame Dusty Baker for this, but it’s not like he’s been terribly overworked this season. He’s had one outing of 120+ pitches — immediately after which he was shelled by the Cubs — but those two good outings came after that, and he’s otherwise been treated humanely as far as I can tell.
Pitchers get hurt sometimes. Homer Bailey is hurt.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106