Curtis Granderson to return Friday

May 25, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT

curtis granderson headshot yankees.jpgBrian Cashman said yesterday that Curtis Granderson, late of a strained groin (exclusive video of the injury here), is going to be activated from the disabled list on Friday.

Granderson’s absence has coincided with a far more eventful stretch of play from Marcus Thames — both for good and bad — than anyone expected, but I think everyone in the Yankees Universe will be happy to see Granderson back.

1. BC - May 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

What’s with the “George C. Scott” tag?

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Strained Groin injury leads Craig to search for the simpsons video of George C Scott getting hit in the groin (twitter feed). My brain seems to work the exact same way.

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Or I could just click the video link to confirm what I thought rather than postulating. Doh!

4. BC - May 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Got it. Youtube is blocked here at work. Should have clicked the link on my Crackberry.
    Captcha: the ridicule. Hey, sounds like my social life.

5. justin - May 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I’ll tell you one thing , he better start hitting . That team is not producing . Jeter , Tex , Arod and a couple others are not doing the job . The pitching has not been good either . I’m getting a feeling that the Yankees , not the Blosox are going to finish third or fourth. Please someone tell me I’m overreacting . All of a sudden they’re looking old .

6. Nasty Boy - May 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The trade for Austin Jackson is looking like the Yankees got the short end of the stick . It seems to me Jackson is on the rise , and Granderson is on the decline . Aside from the injury , he(Granderson) strikes out a lot and doesn’t hit left handed pitching very well . I’m sure the Yankees knew this when they made the trade , but why would you make a trade like this for a guy(Jackson) who was your best minor league chip ?

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Arod’s batting line so far: .291/.375/.485 for a 135OPS+ isn’t bad. He doesn’t having the rate stats because the 3 guys in front of him have been slumping. He’s already been worth 1.5WAR (projected 6.0) which puts him just behind Cano (2.0) for 2nd on the team and 28th in baseball (Cano is 7th).
    It’s also only 43 games into the season, have faith (they are a game or two ahead of last year). And remember, they’ve been without their starting C, CF, and RF for decent chunks of the season.

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Not sure how you can mention Granderson’s strikeouts and not even discuss Jackson’s? Jackson has 50 K’s already in 42 games (on pace for 192!) and is leading the league in doing so. Jackson’s BABIP is dropping (high of mid 5s down to 468) and, as expected, his batting line is dropping as well. As for the not hitting lefties comment, neither can Jackson. In 42 PA, he has a batting line of 128/192/128(!)
    Jackson will never have the power that Granderson has, and plays in a much larger ballpark (thus dwarfing the HR rate even further). Many have mentioned that Jackson’s ceiling is Granderson, so I think you still make the trade.

9. justin - May 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Thanks , I needed someone that’s more level headed than myself to help me with my negativity . After the series with the Mets , I got disillusioned . Hopefully , when at full strength they will be able to handle the AL east .

10. Nasty Boy - May 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I wasn’t aware of the stats, thanks for the info . You seem to know your business . When you add the stats , the trade seems to make much more sense .

11. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM

@Justin
    Thanks and you’re welcome. It’s easy to get caught up in one game, or a quick series and get frustrated. Try reading this link (it’s also a great yankee website along with Jason from IIATMS’s site and Moshe’s TYU who post here occasionally)
    @Nasty Boy
    Np, but remember it’s early. In 6 years time the trade might look worse for the Yanks depending on how well Jackson does. Right now and the next year or two, the Yanks probably get the better of the deal. But when Granderson gets more expensive and Jackson is still in his rookie contract, it could come back to hurt the yanks.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3212)