Go check out Rugby Sevens Talk

May 25, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT

Rugby Sevens.jpgWe have lots of “Talks” around here now. ProFootball, Hardball, ProBasketball, ProHockey and CollegeFootball.  That’s not enough, though, so we’ve added one more: Rugby Sevens Talk.

Rugby Sevens is a variant on rugby that involves (duh) seven guys instead of the usual 15. And there are far fewer Hakas.  Well, maybe not. I have no idea really, which is why I bookmarked my buddy Buzz McClain’s new blog about it, which only a few posts in is already proving educational, so no worries if you’re not all that well-versed.

Why should you check it out? One obvious reason — which I won’t lie about — is corporate synergy.  NBC is going to broadcast the debut USA Sevens Collegiate
Championship Invitational
next month and the blog is a good way to educate people about the sport and to hype it up a bit.

But I’d be into it even if there weren’t business reasons for it because (a) the sport seems weird and cool and I like weird and cool; and (b) the championship is going to take place right here in Columbus, Ohio, so I’ll probably go down and see it in person.

So give Buzz and Rugby Sevens Talk a look-in.  If you don’t like it, hey, fine, rugby sevens has been around for 127 years so it will probably manage to go on without you.  But maybe, just maybe, you’ll find something new and fun and cool and weird and, really, who doesn’t need more of that in their lives?

1. bisonaudit - May 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM

No “aborigional war dance” tag? Color me disappointed.
    In flattest

2. Karl - May 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

The Haka isn’t from the aborigines, or even Australia. The Haka is based on the Maori people’s war dance, who come from New Zealand.
    If you want to see a sweet aboriginal dance, check out Crocodile Dundee:

3. Tom - May 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Is rugby going to replace lacrosse as the sport of choice for upper-class white boys to not have to compete against black athletes?

4. Mark R - May 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Well, in fairness to bisonaudit, he could have been using “aboriginal” in the generic sense. The Maori ARE an aboriginal people. They just aren’t Aborigines.
    Also, I love that you followed up your culturally aware, knowledge-dropping with a link to a Crocodile Dundee clip. Well done.

5. JBerardi - May 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

My experience with Rugby is fairly limited (played in high school), but I’ll give my impressions. Sevens kinda reminds me of ice hockey minus the ice. It’s very fast-paced and frantic, the ball gets turned over a lot, momentum shifts very suddenly. Standard 15 man Rugby is more about methodically marching down the field, Sevens is much more wild and out of control. Look for lots of crushing open-field tackles. I also remember it being incredibly exhausting… it’s just a constant, all out scramble for the ball.

Also, it might be different at higher levels, but as far as US College Rugby goes (I THINK), Sevens isn’t really a separate sport exactly. It’s mostly played in summer leagues/tournies for the guys who play regular 15s in the spring (you often hear the term “summer sevens” in Rugby circles). It’s a little bit like the wood-bat college leagues in that sense.

6. Dan - May 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Nice comment Tom – a possibility except that many of the elite pros in the game are non “white”. The USA is a minor player in the world rugby pecking order. If your comment is limited to the US it might have some credibility as a class issue but certainly not a race issue. Take the racial hat off and do some homework. Last time I was in New Zealand, the Maori were not considered “white”, but they arguably have produced the best rugby players in the sport.

7. Josh Young - May 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Tom,
    Do some research before you spew this ignorance. Our players come from all socio-economic backgrounds & ethnicities. Rugby, unlike many sports, is working hard to develop its sport in urban areas, just check out http://PlayRugbyUsa.com/ which runs flag & tag rugby teams in & around inner city New York & Boston. On Saturday, June 5th, Play Rugby USA puts on the 3rd Annual Mayors Cup – over 50 teams, both boys & girls, compete in the nations largest flag rugby tournament.
    Unlike lacrosse, rugby is a very low cost sport. Truly, you only need a rugby ball. From there, cleats.
    You are correct about one thing – the Maori are some of the best rugby players in the world. I hope guys like Buzz can help to educate the misses & we can erase your ignorance.

8. Mark W - May 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

wow tom, you’ve obviously never had the courage to step on a field…

9. John - May 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Rugby is a great sport. I played second row in college and I think it is great that people like Buzz McClain are dedicated to educating people about the sport and gaining better visibility to the US about a sport that is very well known outside North America. It is a combination of soccer, football, and ice hockey, without the ice. I have never played a sport where you are trying to knock the guy out during the game but afterwards are great friends enjoying a pint or two after the match. True camaraderie is built for the sport and more kids should be exposed to this great sport as an alternative to traditional US sports. Not to mention I was in the best shape of my life while playing Rugby. I have struggled the rest of my post college life to get back to that form. Go check out http://www.rugbybuzz.com for more information and to get educated on Rugby.

10. Buzz McClain - May 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Love the comments! But to really get things started, check out this:

11. Pat - Jun 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Have you ever watched a match?
    Your comment is unsubstantiated by the composition of the various teams.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3436)