May 25, 2010, 3:14 PM EDT
I loved Hideki Matsui’s World Series performance. I would love to have a hitter like Hideki Matsui in my lineup. If I did, though, he’d be way down low in the order, just like the Angels are doing with him now:
Hideki Matsui was dropped from the cleanup spot to the fifth spot on May 3, from
fifth to sixth on May 14, and from sixth to seventh Monday night. If
the designated hitter doesn’t snap out of his monthlong slump, he might
be in danger of being dropped from the lineup altogether.
The problem is a simple one: dude is
batting just .229 with a .302 on-base percentage. That doesn’t get the job done even at his relatively reasonable contract.
But hey, at least Yankees fans can stop beating themselves up over the Nick Johnson signing, right?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)