May 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
An MRI exam on Kyle Lohse injured forearm revealed only inflammation yesterday, but he’s expected to miss at least one start and is seeking a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Lohse talked to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch about his status:
They saw something in there and now we need to talk with a specialist to determine exactly what I’m dealing with here. They don’t want me to throw during this time and do something that would make it worse for whatever is going on. Odds are I’m probably going to get some time off, missing at least one start and not throwing at all until we figure out what’s going on.
Lohse convinced the Cardinals to give him a four-year, $41 million extension by going 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA during his first season in St. Louis in 2007, but he’s just 7-14 with a 5.07 ERA in 31 starts since then and spent two stints on the disabled list last season with similar forearm problems. Goold speculates that Adam Ottavino will be called up from Triple-A to take Lohse’s start Saturday against the Cubs and could stick in the rotation for as long as he’s out.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)