May 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
An MRI exam on Kyle Lohse injured forearm revealed only inflammation yesterday, but he’s expected to miss at least one start and is seeking a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Lohse talked to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch about his status:
They saw something in there and now we need to talk with a specialist to determine exactly what I’m dealing with here. They don’t want me to throw during this time and do something that would make it worse for whatever is going on. Odds are I’m probably going to get some time off, missing at least one start and not throwing at all until we figure out what’s going on.
Lohse convinced the Cardinals to give him a four-year, $41 million extension by going 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA during his first season in St. Louis in 2007, but he’s just 7-14 with a 5.07 ERA in 31 starts since then and spent two stints on the disabled list last season with similar forearm problems. Goold speculates that Adam Ottavino will be called up from Triple-A to take Lohse’s start Saturday against the Cubs and could stick in the rotation for as long as he’s out.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 9
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 70
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 42
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 39
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)