May 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
An MRI exam on Kyle Lohse injured forearm revealed only inflammation yesterday, but he’s expected to miss at least one start and is seeking a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Lohse talked to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch about his status:
They saw something in there and now we need to talk with a specialist to determine exactly what I’m dealing with here. They don’t want me to throw during this time and do something that would make it worse for whatever is going on. Odds are I’m probably going to get some time off, missing at least one start and not throwing at all until we figure out what’s going on.
Lohse convinced the Cardinals to give him a four-year, $41 million extension by going 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA during his first season in St. Louis in 2007, but he’s just 7-14 with a 5.07 ERA in 31 starts since then and spent two stints on the disabled list last season with similar forearm problems. Goold speculates that Adam Ottavino will be called up from Triple-A to take Lohse’s start Saturday against the Cubs and could stick in the rotation for as long as he’s out.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)