May 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
An MRI exam on Kyle Lohse injured forearm revealed only inflammation yesterday, but he’s expected to miss at least one start and is seeking a second opinion from a specialist in Los Angeles.
Lohse talked to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch about his status:
They saw something in there and now we need to talk with a specialist to determine exactly what I’m dealing with here. They don’t want me to throw during this time and do something that would make it worse for whatever is going on. Odds are I’m probably going to get some time off, missing at least one start and not throwing at all until we figure out what’s going on.
Lohse convinced the Cardinals to give him a four-year, $41 million extension by going 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA during his first season in St. Louis in 2007, but he’s just 7-14 with a 5.07 ERA in 31 starts since then and spent two stints on the disabled list last season with similar forearm problems. Goold speculates that Adam Ottavino will be called up from Triple-A to take Lohse’s start Saturday against the Cubs and could stick in the rotation for as long as he’s out.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)