May 25, 2010, 10:11 PM EDT
According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said he has decided who to select with the No. 1 overall pick in next month’s First-Year Player Draft, but he isn’t ready to say who that person is.
“We’re not going to announce who it is right now, but we feel we’ve
narrowed it down to one specific person,” Rizzo said.
That specific person is almost certainly Bryce Harper. The 17-year-old phenom put up videogame-like numbers for the College of Southern Nevada during the NJCAA Western District Tournament this past weekend, going 12-for-13 — including four home runs and 10 RBI on Saturday night. As I detailed last Saturday morning, Harper also hit for the cycle on Friday. All in all, not a bad weekend.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)