May 25, 2010, 10:11 PM EST
According to Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said he has decided who to select with the No. 1 overall pick in next month’s First-Year Player Draft, but he isn’t ready to say who that person is.
“We’re not going to announce who it is right now, but we feel we’ve
narrowed it down to one specific person,” Rizzo said.
That specific person is almost certainly Bryce Harper. The 17-year-old phenom put up videogame-like numbers for the College of Southern Nevada during the NJCAA Western District Tournament this past weekend, going 12-for-13 — including four home runs and 10 RBI on Saturday night. As I detailed last Saturday morning, Harper also hit for the cycle on Friday. All in all, not a bad weekend.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)