May 25, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
Last month the Rockies demoted Chris Iannetta to Triple-A after he struggled in 30 at-bats, which seemed very odd given that he’s a 27-year-old three-time Opening Day starter with over 1,100 plate appearances in the majors.
Iannetta took the demotion in stride, hitting .349 with five homers and a 1.146 OPS in 17 games at Triple-A, and now the Rockies are calling him back up. Whether or not he’ll actually play is another issue, because Miguel Olivo hasn’t slowed down a ton since the Rockies chose him as their starter and the team has clearly soured on Iannetta at least somewhat despite giving him an $8.5 million contract extension just months ago.
Iannetta is 27 years old, signed cheaply through 2012, and boasts a .799 career OPS that ranks seventh among all catchers since 2006 behind only Joe Mauer, Jorge Posada, Brian McCann, Mike Napoli, Victor Martinez, Geovany Soto. Obviously some of that is due to playing half his games at Coors Field, but plenty of teams would be smart to see if the Rockies are willing to let him go at a discount.
Last week Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that the Red Sox were keeping an eye on Iannetta as a possible long-term replacement for impending free agents Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)