May 25, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Last month the Rockies demoted Chris Iannetta to Triple-A after he struggled in 30 at-bats, which seemed very odd given that he’s a 27-year-old three-time Opening Day starter with over 1,100 plate appearances in the majors.
Iannetta took the demotion in stride, hitting .349 with five homers and a 1.146 OPS in 17 games at Triple-A, and now the Rockies are calling him back up. Whether or not he’ll actually play is another issue, because Miguel Olivo hasn’t slowed down a ton since the Rockies chose him as their starter and the team has clearly soured on Iannetta at least somewhat despite giving him an $8.5 million contract extension just months ago.
Iannetta is 27 years old, signed cheaply through 2012, and boasts a .799 career OPS that ranks seventh among all catchers since 2006 behind only Joe Mauer, Jorge Posada, Brian McCann, Mike Napoli, Victor Martinez, Geovany Soto. Obviously some of that is due to playing half his games at Coors Field, but plenty of teams would be smart to see if the Rockies are willing to let him go at a discount.
Last week Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that the Red Sox were keeping an eye on Iannetta as a possible long-term replacement for impending free agents Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)