May 25, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Last month the Rockies demoted Chris Iannetta to Triple-A after he struggled in 30 at-bats, which seemed very odd given that he’s a 27-year-old three-time Opening Day starter with over 1,100 plate appearances in the majors.
Iannetta took the demotion in stride, hitting .349 with five homers and a 1.146 OPS in 17 games at Triple-A, and now the Rockies are calling him back up. Whether or not he’ll actually play is another issue, because Miguel Olivo hasn’t slowed down a ton since the Rockies chose him as their starter and the team has clearly soured on Iannetta at least somewhat despite giving him an $8.5 million contract extension just months ago.
Iannetta is 27 years old, signed cheaply through 2012, and boasts a .799 career OPS that ranks seventh among all catchers since 2006 behind only Joe Mauer, Jorge Posada, Brian McCann, Mike Napoli, Victor Martinez, Geovany Soto. Obviously some of that is due to playing half his games at Coors Field, but plenty of teams would be smart to see if the Rockies are willing to let him go at a discount.
Last week Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that the Red Sox were keeping an eye on Iannetta as a possible long-term replacement for impending free agents Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)