May 25, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
The Rockies signed Kaz Matsui to a minor league deal yesterday, and will send him to Colorado Springs, assuming he passes the physical.
Matsui — who,as you can see, has some fabulous facial hair — hit a measly 141/.197/.155 in 71 at-bats with the Astros, so it’s not like we can expect a ton of him in Colorado.
In other news, that three-year, $16.5 million contract he signed before the 2008 season is one of the bigger busts in the past couple of years, even at its, generally speaking, moderate size.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (252)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)