May 25, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
The Rockies signed Kaz Matsui to a minor league deal yesterday, and will send him to Colorado Springs, assuming he passes the physical.
Matsui — who,as you can see, has some fabulous facial hair — hit a measly 141/.197/.155 in 71 at-bats with the Astros, so it’s not like we can expect a ton of him in Colorado.
In other news, that three-year, $16.5 million contract he signed before the 2008 season is one of the bigger busts in the past couple of years, even at its, generally speaking, moderate size.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)