May 26, 2010, 12:36 AM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that all of Lozano’s clients are expected to come along with him.
9:12 PM: Interesting news. According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, agent Dan Lozano has left Beverly Hills Sports Council.
Lozano, who had been with the firm since 1989, has represented many high-profile players in the past, including Mike Piazza, but he currently represents the “golden ticket” of free agency in the form of Cardinals’ first baseman Albert Pujols. Of course, Pujols is primed to be a free agent after 2011, a contract which figures to be the richest in the history of the sport.
Lozano told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch the following after Ryan Howard inked a five-year, $125 million extension with the
Phillies in last month.
“It is our opinion, my opinion, that Albert is on an island all by
himself,” asserted Pujols’ agent, Dan Lozano, of Beverly Hills Sports
“We have to pay attention to any significant multi-year deal, especially
one signed by a big first baseman. But the reality is that there are no
comparables for Albert. He is on an island by himself.”
It’s not immediately clear whether Lozano will continue to work with Pujols following his departure from Beverly Hills Sports Council. I’m guessing he will. Unless, you know, he hates money or something.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (199)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)