And That Happened: Tuesday's Scores and Highlights

May 26, 2010, 5:51 AM EDT

R.A. Dickey crazy looking.jpgMets 8, Phillies 0: In light the Phillies’ struggles against Tim Wakefied and R.A. Dickey (6 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 7K), the Mets are rumored to have offered contracts to Charlie Hough and Steve Sparks, the Braves are trying to persuade Phil Niekro to come out of retirement , the Nationals have been in communication with Tom Candiotti’s agent and the Marlins are mulling an offer to the ghost of Hoyt Wilhelm.

Marlins 6, Braves 4: Kenshin Kawakami continues to get crap run support. Line of the game story: “[Hanley] Ramirez lost control of his bat and it sailed into seats along the
third-base side in the eighth, hitting a few of the 63,000 or so empty
seats in Sun Life Stadium.”

Red Sox 2, Rays 0: Jon Lester threw six innings of one-hit ball for the Bosox’s latest fabulous starting pitching performance. Big Papi’s two-run double was the only scoring in the game.  If I was one of those hack sports writers who like to spout cliches I’d say something like “the Red Sox are making a statement!” or “the Rays’ were exposed against a tough lefty,” but  I’m not one of those guys, so I won’t.

Cubs 3, Dodgers 0: Ryan Dempster outdueld Clayton Kershaw with a scoreless eight inning performance in which he allowed three measly singles.

Pirates 2, Reds 1: Strong starts from both Paul Maholm and Mike Leake, but neither figured in the decision. Ryan Doumit’s homer in the ninth was his second game-winner in three days.

Giants 4, Nationals 2: Four days after I write off Todd Wellemeyer and say he needs to be drummed out of the rotation he throws six decent innings and even gets a hit to help a severely slumping Giants offense. None of us know nothin’, really.

Padres 1, Cardinals 0: You know, I’m beginning to think that all of these teams that can’t score against the Padres aren’t just hitting offensive skids as a matter of coincidence. Jon Garland had seven shutout innings with seven strikeouts.

Mariners 5, Tigers 3: Milton Bradley homered and then drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth
inning off Verlander. Then, during the pitching change Bradley — who was on first base — ran into the dugout and gave everyone a round of jubilant high fives before running out and returning to the bag.  You can’t spell “manic depression” without “Milton!” Um, at least if you leave out the L and the T.

Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 2: Three in a row for Colorado, aided by three hits by Todd Helton.  Have the Rockies finally gotten it out of neutral?

Angels 8, Blues Jays 3: Ervin Santana pitched a four-hit complete game with ten Ks. Three of the four hits were first-pitch homers by
Jose Bautista, Aaron Hill and Jeremy Reed, though, which is kind of odd.  Are there any Three True Outcome pitchers?

Brewers 6, Astros 1: Randy Wolf threw seven scoreless, giving Milwaukee its first effective outing from a starting pitcher since Pete Vukovich retired.  Well, at least it seems that way.

Rangers 8, Royals 7: I’m beginning to think that the Vlad Guerrero signing was a wise one (3 for 5, 2 HR, 2B, 5 RBI).  His double came on a pitch that, according to the game story “few batters would be able to handle.”  When the writers are back to describing Vlad’s awful plate discipline like that, you know he’s humming.

Indians 7, White Sox 3: The Tribe chased Jake Peavy after jumping out to a 6-0 lead on eight hits after six innings.  For the record, Peavy also gave up six runs on eight hits in his last start, against the Angels, last Thursday. But hey, at least he’s consistent.

Orioles 5, Athletics 1: Three of the O’s five runs came without hits: two on sac flies and one on a fielder’s choice + error.  Dallas Braden left this one early with a sore ankle.  Remember how Mark Buehrle scuffled a good deal after his perfect game last year? Braden seems to be doing the same. Coincidence? Yeah, I think so.

Yankees 0, Twins 0: SUSPENDED:  The umps suspended this one after a 1-hour,
23-minute rain delay with the score 0-0 after five innings. The game will resume in the top of the sixth today at 4:10 p.m., though obviously not with Scott Baker or A.J. Burnett — who were cruising — on the mound.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Maybe the meteorogical equipment has yet to be installed in Target Field.It started raining in the second and they played through it through the fifth. I looked at WeatherBug and the only rain in the northern US was a big blob over Minnesota.
    Of course, maybe the grounds crew has grasped the concept of tarps yet, they thought they were the old garbage bags from the Metrodome.

2. Riddles - May 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Gee … I dunno about making fun of Bradley’s obvious mental instability. It’s newsworthy, but I’m not sure I needed a joke about it.

3. Jonny5 - May 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM

LMAO!!! Craig, thank you for the A.M. laugh. The Phills were owned. They aren’t going to be happy about that either. The Mets may be in trouble tonight, That is if they don’t sign Charlie Hough sometime today. And this Milton Bradley? I hear he’s inventing a new game to compete with Hasbro’s Monopoly. It’ll be based on the game of baseball, Apparently it’ll be more of “Do not pass home plate, do not collect a run” And I hear he was testing the validity of doing a victory lap through the dugout for his new game. He’s now trying to have money printed with his face on it on 4’x8′ sheets of paper, he’s still trying to figure out if he should name this currency Bradley bucks, or Milton money. Last night he overcame the problem of how to move the pieces around the game board, it’s been bugging him for awhile if you can’t tell. He has to hit a baseball to move the other game peices. Whoda thunk it? I’m surprised there isn’t some unwritten law broken afterall for that victory lap, or are we to the point where everyone is going to give the guy a pass on this stuff since he’s got a foot on a bananna peel and the other in a rubber room?

4. RobRob - May 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Six innings of shutout, one-hit ball is a nice headline, but Lester also walked five and threw 111 pitches, with less than 60% of those for strikes.
    Given that he also struck out nine and both Crawford and Maddon were ejected for arguing balls-and-strikes, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Bob Davidson didn’t have his A-Game behind the plate last night.

5. Joey B - May 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM

“I’m surprised there isn’t some unwritten law broken afterall for that victory lap, or are we to the point where everyone is going to give the guy a pass on this stuff since he’s got a foot on a bananna peel and the other in a rubber room? ”
    Yes and yes. While I’d like to see MB return to normal, this type of celebration might not auger well for the future.

6. Karl - May 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Len,
    I was at this game and I don’t know where you’re taking this comment-it was wet and they could have played, but the umps called the game. I love how people outside Minnesota believe that because the Twins played in the dome for 28 years that Minnesotans don’t know how to handle changes in weather.
    This is coming from someone who’s favorite team plays in a city where they use garbage trucks as snow plows and the city shuts down if it snows more than two inches at one time.

7. Corey - May 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Kawakami gets NO RUN SUPPORT????? The 4 runs the Braves put up would have been enough to win any of the 3 games the Giants lost to the A’s over the weekend. After watching the horrendous Giants offense for the last week, I’d take Kawakami’s NO RUN SUPPORT any day.

8. Rays fan - May 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I, of course, love the fact that “my” Rays have the best record in baseball, but it’s definitely interesting how a team came play so well most of the time but be so completely shut down at others–1st a perfect game, & now a 1-hit shut out suffered by a first place team? Odd. This is why there will be no chest-thumping from me until the rays are still in first in October.

9. YankeesfanLen - May 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Karl-
    The New York announcers were all gushing about the beauty and variety at Target Field and the vibrant downtown area where it is located.
    Just looked like to me that after the fourth, if anybody looked at a weather forecast, they would have known that there was no way they could get nine innings in.

10. CJ - May 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

The phils got owned because they couldn’t steal signs against a knuckleballer. It’s amazing how these guys with over 4.0 ERAs (Wakefield had over a 5.0 ERA at the start of his game) are completely blanking the Phils, even when they throw a fastball.
    Oh, and let’s not forget in the Red Sox game how the Phils magically started hitting in the bottom of the 9th after Wakefield left the game. Somehow they were able to hit the 93 MPH fastball and 85 MPH curve right off the bat after seeing and missing 65 MPH knuckleballs and 75 MPH fastballs all night from wakefield. that was quite the [quick] adjustment.
    anyone check the Phillies’ dugout for TVs tuned to Comcast SportsNet? They usually have a great view of the catcher’s signs.
    For the record, i was at the red sox game on Sunday, and Phils fans were more than cordial (except to JD Drew of course). There was one guy in the stands who was upset the red sox won the series but most people were just laughing at him. Give the phils fans some credit.

11. ecp - May 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I’m with you, Corey. There are a bunch of pitchers who would give their eyeteeth for four runs of support. I suppose Craig was bemoaning Kawakami’s night because only two of those came while he was in the game.

12. The Rabbit - May 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Like Gregory House, I’m a huge fan of bright people who are tweaked differently; therefore, I find MB very interesting.
    I wouldn’t get too concerned about Milton, yet. If in fact he is now being treated for a mood disorder, it takes some time for the scripts to work.
    Good for him for dealing with it.

13. Karl - May 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Len,
    No worries, now I know where you were taking it. I wish they would have called it at 4 because then they’d just start over and I’d get to see the game (for today, only if you have a ticket for the 6.10 game tonight can you watch the rest of last night game-bush league).
    As far as NYC closing schools, I’d have to guess that Minneapolis and St Paul schools being in that same boat. The majority of school closings in Minnesota are outside the metro area where there are long drives into school and it takes longer for all the roads to be plowed.
    Your announcers are right about Target Field, it’s wonderful. The area it’s in is fine, the key is that the things to do around Target Field are 100 times better than what the dome has to offer.

14. Joey B - May 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Glad to see someone that just hopes he has a good day. It’s easy to get exasperated at those that seemingly have everything, and I’m just as guilty as everyone else, but there is a real good chance that this guy just has some mechanism that isn’t clicking right. And everyone is better off if he gets back on track.

15. Jimmy Marlins Fan - May 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

taking a shot at the marlins attendence? craig thats not like you at all
    and if anything, charlie hough should re-start his career where it all ended…damn that knuckler dances

16. Joey B - May 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

“As for the garbage trucks, that’s just resource utilization. Why buy and store 1500 snowplows? NYC has only closed schools 5 days over the past 7 years.
    I wasn’t disparaging Minnesote, personally I would prefer to live well enough south of the Mason-Dixon line to never see snow again.”
    Don’t take it personally. The poster is probably busy at this time of the year plowing the back 40, chopping lumber for the long hard winter that starts in September, barnraising, milking the cows, etc. He don’t have much time to git hisself into the big city to read much about NYC.
    j/k-Minneapolis is a nice little city. Pretty cool architecture in the business area. But I’m still not sure why the poster thinks something is wrong with attaching plows to sanitation trucks. It’s not like the trucks are going to go around in a blizzard picking up garbage.

17. APBA Guy - May 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Something was more wrong with Braden than just his ankle. Last start it was “food poisoning” even though he stays with his grandmother during home games. Given all the TV time she’s been getting as a result of her grandson’s perfecto, maybe she made him go for carry-out?
    Then last night he’s having foot problems again, just like last year when he was out the last two months of the season. With the A’s, like most MLB teams, you never know what’s really wrong. Oh, and Coco was out again last night. So far he’s missed 42 games, played two, and missed two more. He’s still sore, evidently. At what, we don’t know. Maybe all the attention Milton Bradley’s getting.
    Anyway, the A’s were back to their usual home/road dichotomy. ERA at home, under 3.00, on the road nearly 6.00. Last night it was walks and wild pitches. Hopefully they can at least score a few runs against Baltimore pitching, because it’s going to be difficult to win against Detroit and Boston following the O’s.

18. scatterbrian - May 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

“Are there any Three True Outcome pitchers?”
    Harden and Gallardo come to mind.

19. JBerardi - May 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM

“If I was one of those hack sports writers who like to spout cliches I’d say something like “the Red Sox are making a statement!” or “the Rays’ were exposed against a tough lefty,” but I’m not one of those guys, so I won’t.”

C’mon Craig. I know you’re down on the Sox, but I think this win at least deserves one of your backhanded compliments instead of one of your outright dismissals.

20. Jay B - May 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM

If you’re looking for a Three True Outcomes pitcher, look no farther than Carlos Marmol.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4112)