May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Injured in just his second game of the season, Coco Crisp was placed back on the DL Wednesday because of a strained right intercostal muscle.
Crisp’s return to the outfield mix was one of the reasonings behind Eric Chavez’s DL assignment over the weekend. The A’s intended to use Crisp in center, Rajai Davis in left and Jack Cust at DH. However, those plans have already been scrapped and Davis is back in center field and in the leadoff spot tonight.
Replacing Crisp on the roster is catcher Landon Powell. That will free up Jake Fox to be used at DH and perhaps in the outfield against lefties. Eric Patterson will also benefit from Crisp’s injury. However, tonight it’s Adam Rosales getting the nod in right field, with Ryan Sweeney moving over to left.
Rosales just spent six weeks filling in at second base for Mark Ellis. The versatile right-handed hitter is batting .269/.333/.373 in 134 at-bats this season.
Top prospect Michael Taylor wasn’t a candidate to be called up in Crisp’s place. He’s on the DL with a calf injury, and he was hitting just .232/.290/.408 in 125 at-bats for Triple-A Sacramento before going down.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)