May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Injured in just his second game of the season, Coco Crisp was placed back on the DL Wednesday because of a strained right intercostal muscle.
Crisp’s return to the outfield mix was one of the reasonings behind Eric Chavez’s DL assignment over the weekend. The A’s intended to use Crisp in center, Rajai Davis in left and Jack Cust at DH. However, those plans have already been scrapped and Davis is back in center field and in the leadoff spot tonight.
Replacing Crisp on the roster is catcher Landon Powell. That will free up Jake Fox to be used at DH and perhaps in the outfield against lefties. Eric Patterson will also benefit from Crisp’s injury. However, tonight it’s Adam Rosales getting the nod in right field, with Ryan Sweeney moving over to left.
Rosales just spent six weeks filling in at second base for Mark Ellis. The versatile right-handed hitter is batting .269/.333/.373 in 134 at-bats this season.
Top prospect Michael Taylor wasn’t a candidate to be called up in Crisp’s place. He’s on the DL with a calf injury, and he was hitting just .232/.290/.408 in 125 at-bats for Triple-A Sacramento before going down.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 9
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 10
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)