May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Injured in just his second game of the season, Coco Crisp was placed back on the DL Wednesday because of a strained right intercostal muscle.
Crisp’s return to the outfield mix was one of the reasonings behind Eric Chavez’s DL assignment over the weekend. The A’s intended to use Crisp in center, Rajai Davis in left and Jack Cust at DH. However, those plans have already been scrapped and Davis is back in center field and in the leadoff spot tonight.
Replacing Crisp on the roster is catcher Landon Powell. That will free up Jake Fox to be used at DH and perhaps in the outfield against lefties. Eric Patterson will also benefit from Crisp’s injury. However, tonight it’s Adam Rosales getting the nod in right field, with Ryan Sweeney moving over to left.
Rosales just spent six weeks filling in at second base for Mark Ellis. The versatile right-handed hitter is batting .269/.333/.373 in 134 at-bats this season.
Top prospect Michael Taylor wasn’t a candidate to be called up in Crisp’s place. He’s on the DL with a calf injury, and he was hitting just .232/.290/.408 in 125 at-bats for Triple-A Sacramento before going down.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)