May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Injured in just his second game of the season, Coco Crisp was placed back on the DL Wednesday because of a strained right intercostal muscle.
Crisp’s return to the outfield mix was one of the reasonings behind Eric Chavez’s DL assignment over the weekend. The A’s intended to use Crisp in center, Rajai Davis in left and Jack Cust at DH. However, those plans have already been scrapped and Davis is back in center field and in the leadoff spot tonight.
Replacing Crisp on the roster is catcher Landon Powell. That will free up Jake Fox to be used at DH and perhaps in the outfield against lefties. Eric Patterson will also benefit from Crisp’s injury. However, tonight it’s Adam Rosales getting the nod in right field, with Ryan Sweeney moving over to left.
Rosales just spent six weeks filling in at second base for Mark Ellis. The versatile right-handed hitter is batting .269/.333/.373 in 134 at-bats this season.
Top prospect Michael Taylor wasn’t a candidate to be called up in Crisp’s place. He’s on the DL with a calf injury, and he was hitting just .232/.290/.408 in 125 at-bats for Triple-A Sacramento before going down.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)