May 26, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
But neither are likely to get suspended for last night’s altercation with Bob Davidson, reports Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times. Given that there was some bumping and stuff, you would normally expect a suspension. I’m going to take this is a sign that people at Major League Baseball realize that their ump had more to do with escalating that situation than either Crawford or Maddon did.
I also think Carl Crawford said it best: “If anybody should be getting suspended, it should be the umpire.”
In related news, friend of HardballTalk TheCommonMan has a great post up over at The Daily Something Chronicling the history of umpires behaving badly. Someone should print it out and send copies to Davidson and Joe West.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 20
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 31
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 31
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)