May 26, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
But neither are likely to get suspended for last night’s altercation with Bob Davidson, reports Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times. Given that there was some bumping and stuff, you would normally expect a suspension. I’m going to take this is a sign that people at Major League Baseball realize that their ump had more to do with escalating that situation than either Crawford or Maddon did.
I also think Carl Crawford said it best: “If anybody should be getting suspended, it should be the umpire.”
In related news, friend of HardballTalk TheCommonMan has a great post up over at The Daily Something Chronicling the history of umpires behaving badly. Someone should print it out and send copies to Davidson and Joe West.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29