May 26, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
But neither are likely to get suspended for last night’s altercation with Bob Davidson, reports Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times. Given that there was some bumping and stuff, you would normally expect a suspension. I’m going to take this is a sign that people at Major League Baseball realize that their ump had more to do with escalating that situation than either Crawford or Maddon did.
I also think Carl Crawford said it best: “If anybody should be getting suspended, it should be the umpire.”
In related news, friend of HardballTalk TheCommonMan has a great post up over at The Daily Something Chronicling the history of umpires behaving badly. Someone should print it out and send copies to Davidson and Joe West.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (246)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)