May 26, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Brewers catcher Gregg Zaun was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn labrum in the front of his right shoulder and told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy soon after that his chances of playing again this season are “50-50.”
Zaun will treat the shoulder conservatively for the next 2-4 weeks, then decide whether to have season-ending surgery or try to rehab his way back to full health. Either way, it sounds like George Kottaras is about to get the largest chunk of major league playing time in his career.
If a season-ending procedure is ultimately required for Zaun, the veteran isn’t sure whether he will ever return to baseball. He signed a one-year, $2.15 million contract with Milwaukee this offseason.
“I have a couple of questions I have to ask myself,” Zaun told MLB.com. “Do I
want to play next year? I can’t answer that question at this point
right now. I love the game; I’m not sure if I want to continue going
The 39-year-old was batting a respectable .265/.350/.392 with 14 RBI in 102 at-bats as the Brewers’ primary starting catcher this year. He’s a .252/.344/.388 career hitter over 15-plus professional seasons.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)