May 26, 2010, 9:12 PM EST
Brewers catcher Gregg Zaun was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn labrum in the front of his right shoulder and told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy soon after that his chances of playing again this season are “50-50.”
Zaun will treat the shoulder conservatively for the next 2-4 weeks, then decide whether to have season-ending surgery or try to rehab his way back to full health. Either way, it sounds like George Kottaras is about to get the largest chunk of major league playing time in his career.
If a season-ending procedure is ultimately required for Zaun, the veteran isn’t sure whether he will ever return to baseball. He signed a one-year, $2.15 million contract with Milwaukee this offseason.
“I have a couple of questions I have to ask myself,” Zaun told MLB.com. “Do I
want to play next year? I can’t answer that question at this point
right now. I love the game; I’m not sure if I want to continue going
The 39-year-old was batting a respectable .265/.350/.392 with 14 RBI in 102 at-bats as the Brewers’ primary starting catcher this year. He’s a .252/.344/.388 career hitter over 15-plus professional seasons.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)