May 26, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Brewers catcher Gregg Zaun was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn labrum in the front of his right shoulder and told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy soon after that his chances of playing again this season are “50-50.”
Zaun will treat the shoulder conservatively for the next 2-4 weeks, then decide whether to have season-ending surgery or try to rehab his way back to full health. Either way, it sounds like George Kottaras is about to get the largest chunk of major league playing time in his career.
If a season-ending procedure is ultimately required for Zaun, the veteran isn’t sure whether he will ever return to baseball. He signed a one-year, $2.15 million contract with Milwaukee this offseason.
“I have a couple of questions I have to ask myself,” Zaun told MLB.com. “Do I
want to play next year? I can’t answer that question at this point
right now. I love the game; I’m not sure if I want to continue going
The 39-year-old was batting a respectable .265/.350/.392 with 14 RBI in 102 at-bats as the Brewers’ primary starting catcher this year. He’s a .252/.344/.388 career hitter over 15-plus professional seasons.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (148)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)