May 26, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Brewers catcher Gregg Zaun was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn labrum in the front of his right shoulder and told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy soon after that his chances of playing again this season are “50-50.”
Zaun will treat the shoulder conservatively for the next 2-4 weeks, then decide whether to have season-ending surgery or try to rehab his way back to full health. Either way, it sounds like George Kottaras is about to get the largest chunk of major league playing time in his career.
If a season-ending procedure is ultimately required for Zaun, the veteran isn’t sure whether he will ever return to baseball. He signed a one-year, $2.15 million contract with Milwaukee this offseason.
“I have a couple of questions I have to ask myself,” Zaun told MLB.com. “Do I
want to play next year? I can’t answer that question at this point
right now. I love the game; I’m not sure if I want to continue going
The 39-year-old was batting a respectable .265/.350/.392 with 14 RBI in 102 at-bats as the Brewers’ primary starting catcher this year. He’s a .252/.344/.388 career hitter over 15-plus professional seasons.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)