May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Here’s a sobering quote for even a fanboy like me:
The hype surrounding Heyward was intense, but it apparently wasn’t
intense enough. We’re in the midst of watching one of the great rookie
seasons of all time from a player whose peers are still working out the
kinks in A-ball.
That’s Dave Cameron at FanGraphs, putting Jason Heyward’s rookie season in stunning relief. How stunning? Cameron compares Heyward favorably to [gulp] Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson and Mickey Mantle.
Frank Wren: hows about getting to work on that contract extension, OK?
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (199)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)