May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Here’s a sobering quote for even a fanboy like me:
The hype surrounding Heyward was intense, but it apparently wasn’t
intense enough. We’re in the midst of watching one of the great rookie
seasons of all time from a player whose peers are still working out the
kinks in A-ball.
That’s Dave Cameron at FanGraphs, putting Jason Heyward’s rookie season in stunning relief. How stunning? Cameron compares Heyward favorably to [gulp] Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson and Mickey Mantle.
Frank Wren: hows about getting to work on that contract extension, OK?
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)