May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Here’s a sobering quote for even a fanboy like me:
The hype surrounding Heyward was intense, but it apparently wasn’t
intense enough. We’re in the midst of watching one of the great rookie
seasons of all time from a player whose peers are still working out the
kinks in A-ball.
That’s Dave Cameron at FanGraphs, putting Jason Heyward’s rookie season in stunning relief. How stunning? Cameron compares Heyward favorably to [gulp] Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson and Mickey Mantle.
Frank Wren: hows about getting to work on that contract extension, OK?
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)