May 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Here’s a sobering quote for even a fanboy like me:
The hype surrounding Heyward was intense, but it apparently wasn’t
intense enough. We’re in the midst of watching one of the great rookie
seasons of all time from a player whose peers are still working out the
kinks in A-ball.
That’s Dave Cameron at FanGraphs, putting Jason Heyward’s rookie season in stunning relief. How stunning? Cameron compares Heyward favorably to [gulp] Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Frank Robinson and Mickey Mantle.
Frank Wren: hows about getting to work on that contract extension, OK?
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)