May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
The independent leagues are a tough business, and I’m not just talking about the low pay and poor working conditions.
Former Tigers/Reds/Nats awesomefielder Dmitri Young is now a consultant and hitting instructor with the Oakland County
Cruisers of the Frontier League. He was just on Sirius/XM and said that the team’s driver stole the team bus yesterday. Stole. The. Damn. Bus.
Of course, maybe this is less a function of life in the independent leagues and more a function of, you know, being in Oakland.
UPDATE: I somehow mixed up Oakland, California for Oakland County, Michigan, which is where Young’s team plays. My bad. Oakland County, Michigan consists of the peaceful and respectable northern suburbs of Detroit. Still, there are a lot of chop shops in Detroit, so maybe this was a border incursion . . .
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 133
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39