May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
The independent leagues are a tough business, and I’m not just talking about the low pay and poor working conditions.
Former Tigers/Reds/Nats awesomefielder Dmitri Young is now a consultant and hitting instructor with the Oakland County
Cruisers of the Frontier League. He was just on Sirius/XM and said that the team’s driver stole the team bus yesterday. Stole. The. Damn. Bus.
Of course, maybe this is less a function of life in the independent leagues and more a function of, you know, being in Oakland.
UPDATE: I somehow mixed up Oakland, California for Oakland County, Michigan, which is where Young’s team plays. My bad. Oakland County, Michigan consists of the peaceful and respectable northern suburbs of Detroit. Still, there are a lot of chop shops in Detroit, so maybe this was a border incursion . . .
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)