May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EST
The independent leagues are a tough business, and I’m not just talking about the low pay and poor working conditions.
Former Tigers/Reds/Nats awesomefielder Dmitri Young is now a consultant and hitting instructor with the Oakland County
Cruisers of the Frontier League. He was just on Sirius/XM and said that the team’s driver stole the team bus yesterday. Stole. The. Damn. Bus.
Of course, maybe this is less a function of life in the independent leagues and more a function of, you know, being in Oakland.
UPDATE: I somehow mixed up Oakland, California for Oakland County, Michigan, which is where Young’s team plays. My bad. Oakland County, Michigan consists of the peaceful and respectable northern suburbs of Detroit. Still, there are a lot of chop shops in Detroit, so maybe this was a border incursion . . .
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)