May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
The independent leagues are a tough business, and I’m not just talking about the low pay and poor working conditions.
Former Tigers/Reds/Nats awesomefielder Dmitri Young is now a consultant and hitting instructor with the Oakland County
Cruisers of the Frontier League. He was just on Sirius/XM and said that the team’s driver stole the team bus yesterday. Stole. The. Damn. Bus.
Of course, maybe this is less a function of life in the independent leagues and more a function of, you know, being in Oakland.
UPDATE: I somehow mixed up Oakland, California for Oakland County, Michigan, which is where Young’s team plays. My bad. Oakland County, Michigan consists of the peaceful and respectable northern suburbs of Detroit. Still, there are a lot of chop shops in Detroit, so maybe this was a border incursion . . .
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 0
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)