May 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
The independent leagues are a tough business, and I’m not just talking about the low pay and poor working conditions.
Former Tigers/Reds/Nats awesomefielder Dmitri Young is now a consultant and hitting instructor with the Oakland County
Cruisers of the Frontier League. He was just on Sirius/XM and said that the team’s driver stole the team bus yesterday. Stole. The. Damn. Bus.
Of course, maybe this is less a function of life in the independent leagues and more a function of, you know, being in Oakland.
UPDATE: I somehow mixed up Oakland, California for Oakland County, Michigan, which is where Young’s team plays. My bad. Oakland County, Michigan consists of the peaceful and respectable northern suburbs of Detroit. Still, there are a lot of chop shops in Detroit, so maybe this was a border incursion . . .
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)